Nicks tanks.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Nick Jarvis
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 120 times

And in other news, I put the big pleco in today.
I wish I recorded it to show you but I was more concerned about being ready to take him back out.
As soon as I put him in, almost every cichlid surrounded the pleco. I was worried they was about to attack him until he moved a little bit and they all jumped back.
Reminded me of when I walk the dog through cattle, they run up to you but if you turn around they jump back....
Was funny to watch. It carried on for about 5 minutes before the cichlids got board and just ignore him.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Fish just being curious.
"What's that?", "It moved", "It's not food", "Move on". lol
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I had cloudiness in the panda/guppy tank Nick. It started very suddenly and I thought "it'll sort with some water changes". Then the tank leaked and I had to get a new one, but that didn't clear it either, so I ended up popping some Purigen in the filter for a couple of months to clear it.
No idea what caused it......it wasn't a bacteria bloom or toxin.......
Nick Jarvis

plankton wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:47 am I had cloudiness in the panda/guppy tank Nick. It started very suddenly and I thought "it'll sort with some water changes". Then the tank leaked and I had to get a new one, but that didn't clear it either, so I ended up popping some Purigen in the filter for a couple of months to clear it.
No idea what caused it......it wasn't a bacteria bloom or toxin.......
Yeah that like whats happening to me, it odd.
I think it's something to do with the tropica stuff in there. I might just completely redo it with new substrate.
Nick Jarvis

Stephen wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:01 am Fish just being curious.
"What's that?", "It moved", "It's not food", "Move on". lol
They was way more interested in the pleco than anything else that goes in, even other cichlids.
I think there is something in the cichlids evolution that makes catfish very noticeable to a cichlid, could be something to do with the parasitic breeding.
My rainbow cichlids would attack the cory, thats why I moved them, and my rainbow cichlids really doesn't get any more peaceful for cichlids.
Interesting...
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I also find it depends on whether they have seen the new fish before or not. If I add a completely new species, the existing fish will be far more curious. If I simply add to an existing species in the tank, e.g. more neons, then there is zero interest in the newbies.
Nick Jarvis

Ric wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:56 pm I also find it depends on whether they have seen the new fish before or not. If I add a completely new species, the existing fish will be far more curious. If I simply add to an existing species in the tank, e.g. more neons, then there is zero interest in the newbies.
Well the new pleco isn't really that much bigger than the bristlenose they already live with. Was hilarious every time the pleco flinched they all crapped themselves. I actually think I seen abit of poo go flying from a cutteri when the pleco swam towards it
Nick Jarvis

Done another large water change today, I only wanted to do 50% but got distracted and ended up doing about 70%
Done 50% on the cory and friends 105L tank and 25% on the cutteri species 135L tank. I put the old cory water into the previously empty 105L QT along with some floting ricky (whatever its called) and about 20 cherry shrimp. I am going to keep only shrimp in there until I sort the sump/refugium. If I need to quarantine then the sick fish will have a nice food source.
Also managed to move 8 cutteri out of 9ft into the cutteri tank, still at least 6 more to catch.
Pictures for now.
Cory and co.

QT

Costa Rican pond aka cutteri tank. (Entire tank and stock up for grabs if anyone is interested)

The main tank...

Cichlids hiding because I was netting cutteri earlier.

Nick Jarvis

Quick snack before bed

You can see the worst veija here, seems to not be getting worse, better if anything since the treatment.
Would you do anything else to this guy?
Nick Jarvis

Mid water change 3 hours in...