Benvilles' Roma 240

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

cropped2.jpg
cropped.jpg
So after my dire exploding second hand tank from the newbie section (https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=860), starting this for my new Fluval Roma 240 setup.

It's still very early doors, the plants hardly grown and the stock very low.  I had 2 Platys and 4 White Clouds I had to move over from my little 19L my mother in law bought for my kids.  To go with those I bought 4 more Platys and some more White Clouds.  I also increased the Shrimp population from 2 Amanos that were in the small tank, now up to 4 Amanos, 2 Giant African Shrimp and a lone red/white Cherry Shrimp the LFS threw in for free as it was in the wrong tank.

I've tried getting some photos of the Africans, but alas they are still very, very shy at the moment, so the blurry effort below is all I can get tonight.
cropped3.jpg
The background is temporary, it's actually a black towel until the matte black board I've ordered arrives in a couple of weeks.

Stocking wise, I'm unsure of my next step.  I don't want anything too big, was thinking Gouramis at most.  I was advised against Angels as they can apparently be a little aggressive toward smaller fish/shrimp.  My LFS suggested Bolivian Rams maybe.  I wanted some Neons/Cardinals in there at some point too, and was on a tossup between a Bristlenose or some Corys for the cleanup.  I had my eye on Endlers at my LFS, as they're beyond beautiful, but guess it depends on tank mates.
Last edited by Benville on Wed May 26, 2021 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fluval Roma 240L - Tropical Community
Fluval Roma 90L - Daves Place Yo (Cherax Quadricarinatus)
18L Interpet - Cherry Shrimp Breeding Project
Jota

Looks great and love that wood. Looks like a tree.
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

That looks super, you certainly have an eye for aquascaping, love it !
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

The black towel is a good idea. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

Thanks for the comments guys. I felt it looked rather amateurish and scrappy compared to some of the ones I've seen on here, but I've always been too critical of my own efforts.

Was thinking of maybe adding some kind of floating shade type plant to the right side of the tank. I was aiming for thirds, left third a little planted/rocky, the centre area open and the right side heavily planted/rocky around the tree. The thinking with the shade is to help the Giant African Shrimp as they are crazy shy and hate the light. Would the floating stuff help or is it totally the wrong area to do it, blocking light from the plants there?

Also what are peoples thoughts on night light/moonlight? I've taken the tiny blue/white light from the 19L tank (as it's now empty), set it to blue only with a timer for overnight. It projects a very low level dark blue moonlight, which is beautiful, but can't get my camera to capture it at all :(
Fluval Roma 240L - Tropical Community
Fluval Roma 90L - Daves Place Yo (Cherax Quadricarinatus)
18L Interpet - Cherry Shrimp Breeding Project
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

Looks pretty well balanced in layout to me. You never really know what the results are like until the plants grow out a bit and you get a better idea of the overall shape and then it can be trimmed back or plants replaced at your leisure.
wingnut55
Tank of the Year 2022
Tank of the Year 2022
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 385 times

Looks great to me, you are doing a good job, well done.  ;)  

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  :)
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

It looks great! Once grown in it’ll be lovely. I am rubbish at ‘scaping. I am very envious :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

We have a moonlight lamp in, its one that covers the right spectrum for natural moonlight...don’t ask, too technical for me :D has timers on so that it makes it dim to simulate sunrise and sunset and the the moon rising. It has 6 or so hours of pure darkness too.
Yes they look lovely, the blue is very flattering.
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Jota

It takes time for plants to grow in and the appearance always develops over time.