Benvilles' Roma 240

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Benville wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:03 am Mixing my own, using the kit below:

https://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fer ... r-kit.html

It recommends 10ml per 50L, so with my 240L I would dose 48ml, but then I read without CO2 you go down to 20% so I was trying 10ml. Last 3 doses have been 15ml now and I was going to monitor. I've tried reading up on EI but it seems the more I read the more I find it confusing and it gets pretty math-sy, and my brain isn't what it used to be.
I've seen some use as much as 30% to 35% dosing before now, it's all depends on what species of fast growing stem plants or how many plants you have. From your images your are needing more ferts, 15ml might be enough for a while but as the plants grow and develop your dosing will have increase to cover what the plants need.

Your instructions are most probably the same but here's Tom Barr's recommendation for dosing a aquarium size you have.

Nutrient target ranges in parts per million (ppm) for EI Dosing:

Nitrate (NO3) range 20-30 ppm
Potassium (K) range 15-30 ppm
Phosphate (PO4) range 2-6 ppm
(Fe) range 0.5-1ppm (or higher in some cases)

For your aquarium water volume as follows;

+/- 3/4 teaspoon KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 teaspoon KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ¼ teaspoon Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

So I've been dosing 15ml (up from 10ml) since last Wednesday. Have noticed my plants are now pearling tiny bubbles (this is a good thing right?) but I'm still seeing some yellowing. Maybe just needs time to make a difference to the current foliage? I've got some root tabs on order for the Swords.
Martinspuddle

Pearling plants, means photosynthesis which is always a good thing, It's excess O2 being produce within the plants leaves.

Remove any damaged or yellowing leaves to promote new growth in your aquarium. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benville

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 14:15 pm Remove any damaged or yellowing leaves to promote new growth in your aquarium. :]
To the scissors we go! :)
Benville

Flourish tabs arrived. Put 2 each on the Swords (3 Swords in total) and scattered the other 4 around the other plant beds. Will do some trimming of the paler leaves this weekend and then give it a few weeks to see how things go!
Martinspuddle

Benville wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 13:04 pm Flourish tabs arrived. Put 2 each on the Swords (3 Swords in total) and scattered the other 4 around the other plant beds. Will do some trimming of the paler leaves this weekend and....
...then do a waterchange after you've finish maintenance to your aquarium. ;)
Benville

Good morning!

So coming to the end of a week of dosing at 15ml and I am starting to get green dust algae on the glass. Not massive amounts by any means, just a few patches and it's only noticable as the glass has been so clear since getting my Bristlenoses a month or so ago. I tried reducing the light based on research (it was on for 10 hours, now 7 hours), but reading more this morning it just seems indicative of too many nutrients? So guess I can try toning it back down for a week at 12ml, see how that goes?

Thinking about it while writing this, surely reducing light will actually make it harder for the plants to grow, thus leaving more nutrients in the water?
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2119 times
Been liked: 761 times

Benville wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 am Good morning!

So coming to the end of a week of dosing at 15ml and I am starting to get green dust algae on the glass. Not massive amounts by any means, just a few patches and it's only noticable as the glass has been so clear since getting my Bristlenoses a month or so ago. I tried reducing the light based on research (it was on for 10 hours, now 7 hours), but reading more this morning it just seems indicative of too many nutrients? So guess I can try toning it back down for a week at 12ml, see how that goes?

Thinking about it while writing this, surely reducing light will actually make it harder for the plants to grow, thus leaving more nutrients in the water?
what kind of light you got and type of plants...
Then you can calculate how much light your plants need don't forget natural light is also a form of light.
If your lights are 30w 4500 luminous flux then 6 hours is a good time length for the summer and 7 hours for the winter.
It depends on how much natural light coming in.
As for the dosing you do it daily with carbon?
Create Not Hate
Benville

I use the default LED bar that came with the FLuval Roma 240L....looking it up it's a 14.5W 120cm LED bar.

Plants...errrrrr.....all sorts, hard to say as I was given them by someone closing down a tank so I didn't buy them. Will take some photos in a second.

No Carbon of any kind at present.
Benville

Orange thing is a plastic plant mt 5yo bought me :)