A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Fr499y shrimp tank 🦐

Post by fr499y »

Well the floaters arrived, hopefully they perk up in a few days time! Never had red root floaters before so thought I would give them a shot.

I had one bit of a water lettuce which seems to be growing nicely. There is a bit of duckweed in there as well, usually I hate the stuff but it can stay in this setup 😁

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

I’m experimenting with a few other plants in this tank, I’m slowly going to turn it into a swamp type setup. This plant should grow out of the water and turn red/purple with nice little flowers. I need to make a few more cuttings (might do these today) so I can fill the tank. I know the plant grows well in all lights and temperatures, and it’s bog plant, so perfect for a 8” high tank. Oh it’s the one to the left in the pic.

Bamboo and peppermint is still doing well.

And there are some lovely natural coloured shrimp in here, like this one that almost tiger like

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

This tanks final setup is underway ( final till we move and then plans will change ) with a simple single plant scape. I'm going to use polysperma for the entire tank. The plants should be here tomorrow.

I've removed all the wood and the other plants from the tank, so currently it has a couple of moss balls, sand, a couple of DIY hides ( with moss and anubias attached ) for the shrimp and then the fish/shrimp. Current stock is 6x Neon Tetra, 4x Harlequin Rasbora, 1x otocinclus, 1x nerite snail, 4x amano shrimp and at the last count, 30x cherries.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

The plants have arrived! Job for later tonight is to get them in :D

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

Only the floating plants turned up. I emailed the company and it turns out they haven't got any worth sending so I have been refunded. So last night I decided to pop into the fish store on the way home, to my suprise they actually had plants in stock! Turns out its the first time since December they have gotten their shipment in! I knew there was a shortage of plants due to Brexit and other world related problems, just didn't realise it was this bad.

Cut the story short, I've got two pots of polysperma in the tank. It's just going to be left to grow where it wants, how it wants :grin: :H :tongue:

Art
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Art »

My shrimp tanks are small. About 50 L. I use the filter everywhere. .DIY. According to sketch.

A plastic box. A piece from a plastic bottle. A plastic pipe. Box filled with gravel (6-8 mm grains).
A thin glass tube brings the air down.
The rising bubbles carry water upwards. The surface is moved.
The prawns like this.
The filter gravel is washed every 2 weeks. I keep the dirty broth in a white bowl. There are small prawns in there.
When vacuuming the bottom, small shrimp also get into the bucket. I pour it off and the bottom one goes into the bowl with me.
This water is rotated. The dirt forms a heap in the middle. I suck it off with a thin hose. I shake the rest to prevent the small prawns from sticking to the bowl and pour them back into the tank.

Allready some years.

Art
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Art »

The sketch

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

The hygrophila seems to be settling in quite nicely. It’s already turning a nice orange/red 😃

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

Just checking on the shrimp and there is water everywhere and tank has dropped an inch over night 🤬🤬 time to dry it all up and investigate

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 2128 times

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Not good :-/ hope you find the source of the leak
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!