Paul V's Big Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 873 times
Been liked: 1276 times

10 giant moss balls added tonight. For entertainment purposes more than anything!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Didn't take long for the Oscars to lift them up and chase them round the tank 🤣
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

that's great :D
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

That looks like the perfect plant addition for your tank - they are tough and need turning around at times anyway. Certainly seem to keep your fish entertained. You could hide some frozen bloodworm inside one and see what happens...
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ric wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 13:40 pm That looks like the perfect plant addition for your tank - they are tough and need turning around at times anyway. Certainly seem to keep your fish entertained. You could hide some frozen bloodworm inside one and see what happens...
Haha that's a good idea!
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 19:45 pm
That is such a great pic! They look like a typical mum and dad.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

This is what it reminds me of specifically!

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Netsu wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:21 am This is what it reminds me of specifically!

Haha yeah! That is my parents on whastsapp video lol
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

So the tank has the sunken galleon and the fish are starting to enjoy it. I've got a couple nice pieces of driftwood that I stuck giant moss balls to and I quite like those, the jury is still out on the galleon.
I know I have some difficult decisions ahead. My redhead Vieja is growing very nicely and colouring up well, but as he grows, he becomes more boisterous and where he used to give way and move from the Oscars, he's beginning to stand his ground also chasing one of my small parrots about a bit.
I'm worried about aggression in the tank as it's not something I enjoy. I understand keeping big cichlids there's always going to be some fracas but I dont want one fish to be in fear all the time or worse, get beaten up.
One of the oscar has a split lip, not sure if this is down to fighting, or he is always chasing bubbles and smacks against the glass support at the top a lot.
My male convict has eggs with the female in the cave, but he's worse for wear aswell, he has no marks on him but it looks like his back half is not working as it should, he's lethargic aswell, with only the occasional defensive chase from his territory. Some of his cave fell down so maybe he took a whack from that, I'm hoping he'll improve, I'm treating the tank with melafix for both anyway, but both could just as easily be from fighting, but we dont see much in the evenings when home.
I'm going to buy new lights this week. I cant seem to get a decent picture even with new phone, the fish look radioactive, glowing. The lights were only cheap stop gaps from when I broke the proper one so I'm hoping the new aquasky lights will give better light and show the fish better.
The water is good, that's the main thing, very clear unless the big boys are feeding. Still doing around 400litre water change every Saturday and cleaning all glass and filter inlet/outlet pipes.
Doing both Fx4s every 6 weeks or so, they dont really get that dirty apart from the fine filter pads I put in, so it's mainly just to change them.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5469 times
Been liked: 2683 times

Hope they’re all ok Paul, sounds like there’s a fair but going on atm. I’ll look forward to the pics :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!