The Zebra Pleco Tank (L046)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Very jealous of these. What sized tank do you keep them in, or what is considered a minimum for them?
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

BigBen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 17:43 pm Very jealous of these. What sized tank do you keep them in, or what is considered a minimum for them?
Not really sure to be honest. I've now got 11 in a 180L 1meter long tank with a few cardinals. I may need more space or more filtration as they grow, but seems OK for now. 5-7cm at the moment.

I'd probably go for 6 in a 100L 3ft tank. Google may tell you different though. I know breeders that keep a pair in 18" cube tanks, but remove them once spawned.

I was just going to keep my 4 smaller ones, but I could wait 3yrs and find I have all males, so at least I know I have a mix of genders now. And a much lighter wallet. They're a lot of money considering how little you see them. Mine have become a bit more confident recently though and I hope the bigger numbers will bring a few more out.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I'll probably try a cheaper hypancinstrus before I dive in. I forget the L number but I spotted some Columbian Zebras earlier. I may try something like that to start.

Before this happens I need to persuade my wife that this statement is a thing: "new year, new tank".

Happy new year.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

BigBen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 20:19 pm I'll probably try a cheaper hypancinstrus before I dive in. I forget the L number but I spotted some Columbian Zebras earlier. I may try something like that to start.

Before this happens I need to persuade my wife that this statement is a thing: "new year, new tank".

Happy new year.
I've seen some lovely white columbian zebras before and at about £20 each they're a lot lower risk. Very nerve wracking having something so expensive that could all die overnight.

Hoping they'll all settle in and grow more confident soon and I actually get to see them more.

That saying is surely a tradition by now?? Good luck with it!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Did the bank give you a good deal on the loan?!
Beautiful fish. :D
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 1927 times

What stunning pleco's they are, I liked the Tigers just as much, have you a seperate thread for these now? looks like the light effect you were after has worked, did you block it somehow or is it on a dimmer? Good luck with the breeding, mini zebra's would be an amazing thing to see :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 13:50 pm Did the bank give you a good deal on the loan?!
Beautiful fish. :D
Sadly not, but I did relocate the tank to under the park bench I now reside on.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Staffylover wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 18:21 pm What stunning pleco's they are, I liked the Tigers just as much, have you a seperate thread for these now? looks like the light effect you were after has worked, did you block it somehow or is it on a dimmer? Good luck with the breeding, mini zebra's would be an amazing thing to see :)
I ended up selling the smaller tigers I bought and buying x3 bigger ones. My original 397 male somehow got out the tank so now I have a trio in the main community tank. Another 6 months and hopefully they'll be mature enough to start having a go at baby tigers. Or some point this year at least.

In the zebra tank the light is a cheap 30cm LED light on a 100cm tank. Spotlights just the front/middle part and I have it dimmed down to about 30% too so you just see the edges of the sticks glinting with the water movement. I do like the way the cardinals pop in the light.

Hoping for baby tigers in 2021 and baby zebras in 2022. That'd be the dream, but who knows what challenges will get thrown up in the next few months. Hard to breed either species from what I've read, but who doesn't like a challenge.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Zebra tank under some stress this morning...
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Bailey keeps doing that to the 180l lately.
But that is one fabulous looking cat, the mane and they eyes :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!