New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am
VikingMummy2015 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am I suck at catching fish. Like, really suck. It just makes it to stressful for the fish and me
Two nets are better than one. :]
Tried that….still suck 🤣
...OK, try three nets! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 310 times

How is the Barlow's sand for showing up poo & stuff does it hide it at all?

Did you notice much difference in the colouration of the fish moving to it from the darker substrate?

Thanks
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Sixo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 15:41 pm How is the Barlow's sand for showing up poo & stuff does it hide it at all?

Did you notice much difference in the colouration of the fish moving to it from the darker substrate?

Thanks
It does show up poo! But it’s not too bad for hoovering it’s up because the sand is so fine, a wee waft of my fingers on the end of the hose and the poo lifts up.

Colouration they’ve kinda stayed the same. I guess I’ll see the difference once they’re back with the lone cory who refused to get caught and stayed on the dark sand. If I can spot which one that is, I’ll have my answer!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Pulled out the excess plants last night and siphoned out half the substrate this morning. It almost looks like two tanks with an invisible divider!

And this is where I was going to add a photo but my phone had a different idea! I’ll add them on future days. Plan is to siphon out the rest of the substrate tomorrow night after the boy is in bed, then do my sand washing and adding Wednesday/Thursday and hopefully the Fluval will be shut down by this time next week.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Hurrah, it’s working tonight. I’m reluctant to start on the second half tonight (mainly because I cherish my evenings as my quiet time!) but needs must etc. I’ll treat myself to a hot chocolate once it’s done, and then tomorrow I’ll start washing the Barlows sand and adding it in. I’m dosing Stability too, just to be on the safe side.

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Will all be worth it when it's done! Enjoy your hot chocolate, with marshmallows and squirty cream I hope?!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

And I really needed to wash the sand a bit longer but I didn’t want to wake up the boy! This is only a quarter of the sand, maybe a third….enough to cover the base at least. Leaving the water level low tonight and should get it finished off tomorrow now the bulk is done. The ballansae will go at the back, more wood in the middle from the cory tank, bit of bacopa and hygrophilla around that and job done.

No marshmallows and skooshy cream though @PaulVerrall …never have liked the texture of either! But I’m taking it to bed with a good book (cos the water from the outflow will drive me crazy with the noise if I stay in here 🤣)

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Still cloudy after adding the rest of the sand today and the wood keeps floating (it’s stuff from previous scapes so hasn’t been used for a few months)…but it’s getting there. I’ll wait for it to clear properly then make sure the plants are properly bedded in, then start clearing out the Fluval and move the cories back in with their wee buddy. Then there’ll be a wee bit more wood/Anubias for just off centre.

Fish were a bit stressed earlier (pale rummies and congos) but colouring up again now.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Quick video

https://youtu.be/WpajbahagOE

Transferred the cory’s over this morning surprisingly quickly for me! Flex now emptied out and advertised for sale locally. Will be sad to see it go but happy with my decision.

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Tank and fish look great! Not so sure on the elevator music playing though 🤣