A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 2048 times

Re: Stephen's 120L tank log

Post by Stephen »

KevB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 20:23 pm If it's diatoms then I even get that in my big tank with external filters but in my case I think it's down to the hard water. Yours is softer so I wouldnt expect you to have diatoms in either of yours much, it's an odd one. Could you get a scrape sample and get someone to look at it down a microscope, at least you would know if it was diatoms, plant or fungal so you could plan how to tackle it.
Vale! was kind enough to take a look down a microscope. (Here)
His initial results are green algae, diatoms, cyanobacteria and some mystery organisms (little creatures).
The black stuff has been building up in to smooth layers which I scraped off today.
I can only describe them as being like thin layers of paint, very smooth.
6 foot (550L) - Rio Ucayali themed
9 x juvenile Biotodoma Cupido, 54 x Paracheirodon innesi, 17 x Thayeria boehlkei, 29 x Gold Laser Cory (CW010), 2 x Flash pleco (L204) named George & Mildred

2 foot (120L) - Breeding tank (temporary stocked)
15 x Paracheirodon innesi, 9 x Three-lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3205 times
Been liked: 2498 times

Post by plankton »

Sounds like it's mainly cyano like I had in the Trigon.
You'll need to keep trying different positions for the filter outlet until the flow is right for the tank.
Meanwhile, keep spot dosing with hydrogen peroxide - it definitely doesn't like that! ;)

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner

Post by Stephen »

Today was water change and tidy up day (all done).
I have transferred the otos from the 550L aquarium to this Juwel 120L aquarium in an attempt to cut down on the algae.
There is definitely 7 x Otos in the 120L aquarium, I'm unsure where the other 1 or 2 are, I know I definitely have at least 8 x Otos.
Some of these Otos are big at almost 2 inches and getting quite old now for Otocinclus (at least 4 years old).
I must get some more ;]
9 x juvenile Biotodoma Cupido, 54 x Paracheirodon innesi, 17 x Thayeria boehlkei, 29 x Gold Laser Cory (CW010), 2 x Flash pleco (L204) named George & Mildred

Staffylover
Has liked: 1162 times
Been liked: 982 times

Post by Staffylover »

You did well to catch little Otos out of a big tank, hope they help,
Wanted to ask if you had a list of S.American plants, I am trying to find plants that are not from Asia for the new tank, I know of a few from Africa- Anubias etc but I wondered in your lists if you had one for plants? In general plant stocks seem to be low so I might not be able to stock fully straight away, but no harm in trying :)
400l 6ft Asia River Theme - (Scissortails, Tiger Barbs, SAE, Hovering zebra and dwarf chain loach, silver hatchet imposters)
300l 4ft Dagoba theme tank - (phantom tetra, african banded barb, synodontis petricola, gold laser and schwartzi cory)

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner

Post by Stephen »

@Staffylover
Staffylover wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:49 pm You did well to catch little Otos out of a big tank, hope they help,
Wanted to ask if you had a list of S.American plants, I am trying to find plants that are not from Asia for the new tank, I know of a few from Africa- Anubias etc but I wondered in your lists if you had one for plants? In general plant stocks seem to be low so I might not be able to stock fully straight away, but no harm in trying :)
There are lots of south American plants, the ones that are usually available include:-
Alternanthera reineckii
Bacopa australis
Cabomba aquatica
Echinodorus sp. (several varieties)
Egeria densa
Eleocharis sp.
Helanthium bolivianum (previously Echinodorus Quadricostatus)
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hygrophila sp. 'araguaia'
Hygrophila sp. 'Porto Velho'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) (floating plant)
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia peruviana
Micranthemum tweediei 'Monte Carlo'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Phyllanthus fluitans (floating plant)
Pistia stratiotes (floating plant)
Sagittaria subulata
Sagittaria platyphylla
Staurogyne repens
Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas moss)

Hope it helps

Staffylover

Post by Staffylover »

@Stephen Thanks very much for this info, more than I thought, will do some more research tomorrow morning (too cold to be out for long anyway) should be much easier now I have a few more to look for ::thumbu::
400l 6ft Asia River Theme - (Scissortails, Tiger Barbs, SAE, Hovering zebra and dwarf chain loach, silver hatchet imposters)
300l 4ft Dagoba theme tank - (phantom tetra, african banded barb, synodontis petricola, gold laser and schwartzi cory)

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner

Post by Stephen »

@Staffylover

There are several Echinodorus species, I have a list of 16 species.
One of the most popular is Echinodorus grisebachii 'Bleherae' commonly known as the Amazon Sword.
It is a great background plant.
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Echinodorusgrisebachii'Bleherae'(071BDT)/4513

Another favourite is Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian pennywort) which can also be used as a floating plant although I personally prefer it planted.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/hydrocotyle-leucocephala-brazilian-pennywort-p-6463.html

In a low-tech system (non CO2) I found the red plants and blanket plants (including grasses) difficult (impossible) to grow.
The Echinodorus species are a root hungry plants and like root nutrition with a plant substrate (topped with sand) and even some additional root tabs.

All the best

Staffylover

Post by Staffylover »

@Stephen plant order is in! It's been a challenge finding somewhere with plants in stock, I stayed away from Amazon sword I tried these before and they just melted perhaps they didn't have enough root food, but pennywort is on the order, like the look of that.
Also on the order is Eleocharis, two varieties one dwarf one taller, Bacopa Carolinia, Ludwigia Repens plus some Anubias, will see how they get on, hopefully they will arrive later next week :D

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner

Post by Stephen »

Staffylover wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 13:22 pm @Stephen plant order is in! It's been a challenge finding somewhere with plants in stock, I stayed away from Amazon sword I tried these before and they just melted perhaps they didn't have enough root food, but pennywort is on the order, like the look of that.
Also on the order is Eleocharis, two varieties one dwarf one taller, Bacopa Carolinia, Ludwigia Repens plus some Anubias, will see how they get on, hopefully they will arrive later next week :D
Nice order, I hope they do well for you. ::thumbu::

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner

Post by Stephen »

Just observing the 120L aquarium.
Since adding 7 x Otos 10 days ago the plants are now 95% green as opposed to being covered in the black stuff.
I also stopped feeding the plants.
The air line tubing is black and is still black which is also good as the tubing is a black coloured tubing. It went a milky/green algae colour previously.
However the air tubing in the 550L aquarium has now gone that milky/green algae colour. I need more Otos.
I found the other missing Oto, it's still in the 550L aquarium (I knew I had 8 x Otos). I definitely need more Otos.

Edit:
I caught and transferred the odd Oto to the 120L aquarium.