BigBen's Operation Corydoras

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

BigBen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 14:37 pm I can't find the male Apisto, just had a big move around to see if I could find him but no joy. Presumed dead 😭 Hopefully MA will still have them in stock so I can get another at the weekend.
Sorry if you've lost him :/ I love my cac apisto, he's quite a character. The female is getting there, I think she's still quite young and although there has been flirting in the past, nothing has come of it. She's usually hidden away while the male is out puffing his cheeks
Gingerlove05 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 21:05 pm
BigBen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 18:34 pm
Gingerlove05 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 18:27 pm My cats occasionally help me with water changes, granted thats more a look of “why of i have to move off this towel?” than actual help but its nice to have the company :D
I'd imagine the cats are waiting for an easy meal 😂.

She doesn't usually take any interest in this tank, but she will sit and watch the discus for 5 minutes most evenings.
They’re normally not bothered, they’re cats they like being awkward ROFL
Occasionally one of the fish might catch their attention for about 30 seconds ROFL
My cat likes stealing the siphon hose and anything else laying around. Not so useful when the tank is emptying/refilling! I've had a few mini-floods as I took my eye off him. He's more interested in the cables etc than the fish!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

He's alive! Very shy fish it would appear. I'll pick some tetras up to help him a bit when I can get to a shop.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Bet that was a relief Ben. Well spotted.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I now know the issue with the male Apisto. The female is beating the **** out of him basically so he is hiding. I noticed earlier he is looking very slim so I'm target feeding him separately from the rest. Going to leave it until next weekend to see if it calms down and if not, I'll see if I can do a bit of a swap with MA.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

She’s not guarding eggs is she Ben?
They can sometimes get on well enough to mate, but the female might not want the male around after. We’ve had it happen both ways where both parents guarded territory, eggs and fry and where they have mated and the female decided she doesn’t want the male around after and beats hell into him to keep him away.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 21:32 pm She’s not guarding eggs is she Ben?
They can sometimes get on well enough to mate, but the female might not want the male around after. We’ve had it happen both ways where both parents guarded territory, eggs and fry and where they have mated and the female decided she doesn’t want the male around after and beats hell into him to keep him away.
No, the male is far to young, the female is showing good colours and is probably mature enough, which could well be the issue.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

That's a nice female ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)