Stephen's 550L tank log (summary & continuation)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I spoke to Steve (the boss) at Aqualife on Friday.
He confirmed that the Corydoras burgessi are local bred and that he has not had any issues with the Corydoras burgessi.
He said he had 4 Corydoras burgessi in stock last week but only has 2 now.
Due to it being the Christmas period he is not posting out fish until the new year (that makes sense).
He will have a chat with his supplier (local breeder named Bob) and asked me to monitor the last two surviving Corydoras burgessi and then contact him again in the new year and he will sort something out.
That sounds quite fair.
Aqualife Leyland are a good supplier and will sort out any issues, I have used them a few times without issues.

Despite doing a large water change on Tuesday this week, I decided on doing another on Friday.
I also had another syphon of the sand although it was fairly clean. I also removed then scrubbed and rinsed some bog wood (in the kitchen).
I then removed some foliage that were unsightly (to me they were, but I'm fussy) and finally topped up the sand with a 10kg bag of Unipac Samoa fine sand.
When syphoning the sand you tend to lose a bit and those bits eventually mount up so I topped it up.

The next job consists of blackening a line below the water line.
I have masked a level line approx 1 inch below the water line following a lowered water line.
I will use black insulation tape to fill that gap; this will allow me to slightly lower the water level.
The reason behind this is that algae builds up on the glass supports (braces) due to the water level being very close to the glass, the spray bars causing a ripple on the surface of the water (oxygenation) plus the lights are immediately above the supports. A lowering of the water level by around 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch will hopefully prevent the algae build up on the supports (that's the theory). The insulation tape will also hide/mask the lowered water line.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

January 2022 update:

I will be visiting my favourite LFS tomorrow (Thursday).
On my shopping list are 15 x Corydoras melini which will replace the one's recently lost.

Corydoras melini (stock photo)

Aquarium observation:
I have been watching my aquarium most days but today I can confirm that 2 x Cupid cichlids (Biotodoma cupido) seem to be pairing up.
One of the males is constantly guarding one of the females and chasing off the others.
This is quite encouraging as I wanted to breed this fish species.
I have a mixed group of 9 x Cupid cichlids, at least 2 are male. I've had these cichlids for almost 2 years now and it is only at this stage that they may start breeding.

If I can, I will separate the pair and place them in the 120L aquarium, this will be quite a difficult task but I did manage a similar task previously.
My aim is to have 2 (or 3) pairs in the aquarium and the others will be returned to the LFS for credit (previously agreed with LFS manager).

Quite exciting times ahead, hopefully.
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 1909 times

Love the diagonal stripe on this Cory, very striking, I imagine a group of them will look amazing,
Good news about the Cupids, nice that things are all looking positive again :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Staffylover wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 20:01 pm Love the diagonal stripe on this Cory, very striking, I imagine a group of them will look amazing,
Good news about the Cupids, nice that things are all looking positive again :)
Thank you. :]

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Further update:
Stephen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 18:08 pm January 2022 update:

I will be visiting my favourite LFS tomorrow (Thursday).
On my shopping list are 15 x Corydoras melini which will replace the one's recently lost.

Corydoras melini (stock photo)
The Corydoras melini look great and are acclimatising at present.

Further good news:
Remember that I was originally getting some False Rummy-nose Tetra (Petitella georgiae) but the LFS was sent the wrong fish (sent Hemigrammus bleheri) which I accepted because they also fit in with the theme.
Well ..... the LFS has now got some False Rummy-nose Tetra (Petitella georgiae), I saw them.
The good news is .... the LFS will swap my Hemigrammus bleheri for Petitella georgiae. They are now reserved at the LFS and I will be collecting on the 15th (weather permitting).
I am well pleased.
:D :D :D :D