Stephen's 550L tank log (summary & continuation)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Stephen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 18:25 pm Arrived home with 50 x rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri).
Need photographic proof ...so I can count them. :tongue:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@fr499y
fr499y wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 15:50 pm You mean the real rummy instead of a false rummy :O :P
The "real" rummy-nose tetra is Hemigrammus rhodostomus.
The "false" rummy-nose tetra is Petitella georgiae.
The fish commonly sold as rummy-nose tetra is Hemigrammus bleheri (or firehead tetra).

They all (at first glance) look the same but they are different; for example:-
The mid-body line is present in Hemigrammus rhodostomus and Petitella georgiae but absent in Hemigrammus bleheri.
The lower caudal peduncle spot is present in Hemigrammus rhodostomus and Hemigrammus bleheri but absent in Petitella georgiae.
The black edging on the anal fin is light in Hemigrammus rhodostomus, dark in Petitella georgiae but absent in Hemigrammus bleheri.
The bands on the tail fin (caudal fin) is narrow in Hemigrammus bleheri, narrow (least amount of white) in Hemigrammus rhodostomus but broad in Petitella georgiae.
The red (rummy-nose) reaches past the gill in Hemigrammus bleheri but not with Hemigrammus rhodostomus and Petitella georgiae.

Hemigrammus rhodostomus (real rummy-nose tetra)

Petitella georgiae (false rummy-nose tetra)

Hemigrammus bleheri (common rummy-nose tetra)

The main reason for myself wanting the Petitella georgiae (false rummy-nose tetra) over the other two was because of the broad band on the tail fin, more distinctive mid-body line (plus it is less commonly for sale at the LFS than Hemigrammus bleheri). I have had to settle for the more common Hemigrammus bleheri due to the exporter sending the wrong species but I'm not too disappointed. They are the best community tropical fish species for schooling.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Are the differences worth worrying about or are they all very similar fish and not like the oh sh!t moment when you find out you have a Chinese Algae Eater instead of a Siamese one?
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Here I am not having logged on for ages and I can't believe there are no photos Stephen! :)
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@LookoutTrout
LookoutTrout wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 13:06 pm Are the differences worth worrying about or are they all very similar fish and not like the oh sh!t moment when you find out you have a Chinese Algae Eater instead of a Siamese one?
The differences are not worth worrying about unless you require a specific species (as in my 550L aquarium).
My 550L aquarium has fish species that are present in the Rio Negro; luckily both the Petitella georgiae and Hemigrammus bleheri exist in the Rio Negro whilst the Hemigrammus rhodostomus does not.
The real rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) is present in the lower Amazon River basin and Orinoco River basin.
The false rummy-nose tetra (Petitella georgiae) is present in the upper Amazon River basin in Peru; Purus, Nanay, Negro, and Madeira River basins.
The common (more readily available) rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) is present in the Negro and Meta River basins.

So if my 550L was themed on the Rio Orinoco then I would only want the real rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) and not the other two species.

The Corydoras in my 550L aquarium are also species specific, I already have Corydoras duplicareus but want another species from the Rio Negro which is different to the Corydoras duplicareus.
The Corydoras duplicareus is also known as the False Adolfo Cory as it is very similar to the Corydoras adolfoi, I don't want another similar looking Corydoras but something a bit different.
I am looking for just one other Corydoras species so maybe Corydoras amandajanea, Corydoras crimmeni, Corydoras incolicana, Corydoras kanei, Corydoras parallelus, Corydoras tukano plus a few others that exist in the Rio Negro.
Some of the above Corydoras species are quite rare (and expensive) to source in the UK but they are distinctively different to the Corydoras duplicareus.

Corydoras duplicareus

There are other Corydoras species in the Rio Negro which are similar or have similarities to the Corydoras duplicareus such as Corydoras adolfoi, Corydoras burgessi, Corydoras crypticus, Corydoras davidsandsi, Corydoras melini, Corydoras rabauti, Corydoras serratus and a few C-numbers and CW-numbers. I may have to settle for (out of the group above) Corydoras burgessi, Corydoras rabauti or Corydoras melini as they are less similar than the others.

Corydoras burgessi

Corydoras rabauti

Corydoras melini
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)