No trout Trout tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

What temperature are you keeping the blackskirts at?
They tend to get more problems below 26C....
There was an article in PFK about a Protozoan that affects "skirt" tetras.

The article said there was no known cure, but to isolate the fish, and up the temp a bit and the fish's immune system would clear things up.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

plankton wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:54 am What temperature are you keeping the blackskirts at?
They tend to get more problems below 26C....
There was an article in PFK about a Protozoan that affects "skirt" tetras.

The article said there was no known cure, but to isolate the fish, and up the temp a bit and the fish's immune system would clear things up.
Thanks. The temp is just under 25, it was warmer in the summer so the temp drop could have brought it on, I'll turn the rather vague heater up a degree and see how they all get on.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Water change done and I've noticed these floating plants multiplying, they look like pond weed but with multiple leaves. They are tiny, the leaves are about 1mm across and not getting any bigger.
I brought some plants in from the garden about a month ago and expect these hitch hiked in with them along with hair algae.
Anyone know what they are? The bigger leaves are dwarf water lettuce and frogbit.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 19:07 pm Water change done and I've noticed these floating plants multiplying, they look like pond weed but with multiple leaves. They are tiny, the leaves are about 1mm across and not getting any bigger.
I brought some plants in from the garden about a month ago and expect these hitch hiked in with them along with hair algae.
Anyone know what they are? The bigger leaves are dwarf water lettuce and frogbit.
Duckweed I suspect, good luck with getting rid of it my friend.

Edit: ...yep it's Lemna minor aka common duckweed, dread to think what else come in with it. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Duckweed is what I was thinking of but I thought it was just single leaves, oh joy.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

Pull them all out and any tiny leafy bits you see it’s easy to get rid of if you have the patience 😁
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

It took me 2.5 years to completely clear it from my small q-tank..... ;)
I used a fine net to try to get it out and then what I could still see during water changes.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

I managed it in a couple of days the last time around 😁
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I pulled all the floating plants out after dunking them as the duckweed sticks to everything. Then I spent too long netting every tiny plant, I'd think I was finished and then see another ten seconds later. I'll look again next weekend and see how many have grown from the one I missed.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

fr499y wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:35 am I managed it in a couple of days the last time around 😁
Probably because you just changed the tank :P
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!