No trout Trout tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I thought it was about time I started a log to keep ramblings in one place.
I started out a couple of years ago with a nano tank with 4 tetras on a bookshelf that got forgotten a lot but thrived on neglect fairly well. Then I persuaded my wife we needed something bigger and bought this, adding some more tetras and panda Cory's.
She liked that so I suggested the big picture window between the lounge and porch would be a great place for a large dual aspect tank. Next thing some furniture was moved around and this arrived, ready built by the LFS along with a big lump of wood.
It was set up with 20kg of sand and stuff from the other tank but looked rather bare, so another 20kg of sand and a few rocks from an old water feature were added with a few plants that grew well where they caught the sunlight.
I had two 850l/h filters to start with but the hoses needed cleaning every two weeks and it got annoying so this arrived.
Next my attention turned to the plants, the 20w light that came with the tank wasn't even enough to grow dwarf water lettuce. I have a 45w unbranded led light turning up tomorrow meaning I can put the hoses in the right place and get the top panels mounted. The panels are designed to be stuck on the glass but as I can only just reach the bottom now I didn't want to permanently raise the rim, so a frame will need to be made that I can lift off.
Current stocking is:
10 x Indian Glassfish (Parambassis ranga)
8 x Black Widow Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
6 x Molly/Guppy hybrids
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
5 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
1 x Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
2 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
6 x Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)
390 x Bladder Snail (Pond Snail)
I hope I'm exaggerating the snail population but not sure.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

Lovely!

Do you have any photos of the Indian glass fish?
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Netsu wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:30 am Lovely!

Do you have any photos of the Indian glass fish?
I wasn't sure if that was a wind up as they are almost invisible, mine are only about 1" in length and don't stay still long.
I managed to get one in focus without a photobomber in front:
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

They’re so cool!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

certainly a different looking fish! I need to remember these :)
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I think they are Indian glass fish, the LFS labelled them as just ' glass fish'. I know for sure they sell two different species as flying fox so I usually double check anything they have.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

New light day today, turned up in the post so I eagerly got on with setting it up.
The first thing I found slightly disappointing is my power meter said it drew 30W, it was sold as 45W. Doubly disappointing as the transformer gets rather warm so most of the power is used there.
My meter also said voltage was a shade under 240V and the current was 0.22A so I’m not sure how it gets 30W or how they claim 45W, I dug way back to my college theory but have probably forgotten something relevant.
0.22A at 240V is 52.8VA
0.22A at nominal 230V is 50VA
0.22A at 170V (rms of 240) is 37.4W
I looked at the old light and saw it was labelled 30W so whatever maths is used they look consistent as my meter said that was running at 20W, so the new lamp claims to be 50% more powerful than the old and my tests show the same result. I just think both are equally misleading or my cheap meter is under-reading.
I may try a better power supply at some point, but I won’t know if I’m running the correct power or overdriving them.
What is really good is the new light looks a lot brighter, not what I’d imagine from a 45W LED light (I have two 20W LED strip lights in my garage that look much brighter) but that may be down to the RGB LEDs not appearing as bright as white ones.
The dimmer unit is good but a little fiddly, it resets it’s clock after a power cut but that seems to be the same for most lights. I can dim the lights but not when I’m using the timer which is a little annoying.
eBay ad, available from several sellers under different names https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124179046474?
New light:
Old Light:
Slim profile:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I don't know how clocks work in China but an hour on the timer is about 50 minutes on every other clock in my house, at least it is a separate unit to the light.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

It does brighten it up a bit :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Now I have decent flow and a decent light I decided to spread out my Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, or possibly Lilaeopsis Brisbanica depending who I believe. It's stayed alive so far so time to see if I can get it to spread.