GL’s multiple tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Haha looks like Nine knows you're filming and was determined not to let you get the money shot! If anything like mine, soon as I put the camera down they come to the front and smile!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:20 am Haha looks like Nine knows you're filming and was determined not to let you get the money shot! If anything like mine, soon as I put the camera down they come to the front and smile!
Funny you say that Paul...
He wouldn’t come out for a photo hence why i filmed him, then he spent the rest of the evening swimming around the top of the plants, attacking air bubbles on the java ferns and generally swimming around the actual middle in the open water :rolleyes:
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 am
PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:20 am Haha looks like Nine knows you're filming and was determined not to let you get the money shot! If anything like mine, soon as I put the camera down they come to the front and smile!
Funny you say that Paul...
He wouldn’t come out for a photo hence why i filmed him, then he spent the rest of the evening swimming around the top of the plants, attacking air bubbles on the java ferns and generally swimming around the actual middle in the open water :rolleyes:
🤣🤣🤣
Standard!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Lush looking tanks - so great to see you're growing proper jungle tanks :D
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Ric wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 13:29 pm Lush looking tanks - so great to see you're growing proper jungle tanks :D
Thanks Ric :)
Yeah I just leave the plants to it :D trim off the dead leaves but otherwise they do their own thing. I’m forever finding baby java ferns floating around when doing changes.
Your guppy grass is doing well in the fry tank, and the little bit left in the 100l did grow 3/4 of the way up the tank before the stem snapped so i’ve planted it next to the original. Nearly lost all the hygrophila though but thats standard, i cant seem to grow the stuff no matter what i do :rolleyes:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 16:18 pm
Ric wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 13:29 pm Lush looking tanks - so great to see you're growing proper jungle tanks :D
Thanks Ric :)
Yeah I just leave the plants to it :D trim off the dead leaves but otherwise they do their own thing. I’m forever finding baby java ferns floating around when doing changes.
Your guppy grass is doing well in the fry tank, and the little bit left in the 100l did grow 3/4 of the way up the tank before the stem snapped so i’ve planted it next to the original. Nearly lost all the hygrophila though but thats standard, i cant seem to grow the stuff no matter what i do :rolleyes:
I really wish java ferns didn't do that! My Cory tank is mainly just java fern and it constantly looks a mess! ROFL
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 16:38 pm I really wish java ferns didn't do that! My Cory tank is mainly just java fern and it constantly looks a mess! ROFL
ROFL i enjoy finding them, generally means they’re happy plants, although tbf java ferns are pretty unfussy. I left one in a tank which wasn’t running for a while, only had a couple of leaves left, but soon sprung back into life when i found it and moved it :D
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

Ripped handfuls of Java fern out in recent overhaul to the point I'm a bit worried it will fully recover but I'm sure it will. Doing it actually revealed that the only crypt I've ever been successful with had in fact spread from the original plant and produced a couple of slender daughter offshoots presumably by runners. I didn't know they propagated like that but it seems they do. This might mean the offshoots are now in more light than they like but time will tell. I've even tried going back to a couple of small Amazon swords. Had those in a previous tank but for some reason didn't plant them in the big tank when I set it up. I think they got too big so I might end up taking them out if they get too boisterous.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

KevB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:14 pm Ripped handfuls of Java fern out in recent overhaul to the point I'm a bit worried it will fully recover but I'm sure it will. Doing it actually revealed that the only crypt I've ever been successful with had in fact spread from the original plant and produced a couple of slender daughter offshoots presumably by runners. I didn't know they propagated like that but it seems they do. This might mean the offshoots are now in more light than they like but time will tell. I've even tried going back to a couple of small Amazon swords. Had those in a previous tank but for some reason didn't plant them in the big tank when I set it up. I think they got too big so I might end up taking them out if they get too boisterous.
Thats how the 3 little crypts have spawned (i think) from the big one in the middle of the 180l.
Like i say java ferns are pretty ‘ard for plants.
Only had one amazon sword (echinodorus rose) that grew like mad then died off after a while. They do get big though :)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

That is the beauty with crypts - you just forget about them and one day you realise they have covered quite an area or formed quite a large clump. They spread by stealth :D