BigBens Restart.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

I thought I'd start a new log following the house move, as the move didn't go too well but things seem to have settled pretty quickly.

My tanks are currently in our converted garage whilst we renovate the house (fairly hefty updating project). That means however I have some extra space so at some point I will get a breeding tank or two for the Cory's. In the mean time, I'm looking to rebuild my stock. I hope to find some C.Cruziensis again as I only have two of my group left and my Similis group needs a few extra bodies. But beyond that, I'm going to try and find some unusual fish again. The local shops don't seem to have anything unusual at the moment, but I now have the choice of 6/7 shops rather than my two in Somerset.

I've picked a couple plants up today with the intention of making the Cory tank look good again. Visited a number of shops yesterday in Plymouth/St Austell and another today and no one had any Anubias. I had planned an Anubias bomb. I have a couple I moved with and I picked up a trident fern and a Buchephalandra (spelling?).

I've also started fiddling with my phone cameras macro settings and the PicsArt app. Hopefully I'll get some good results once the tank is thriving again, but for now it's just this chap:
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

Deep clean in the discus tank this afternoon as the new filter (and hoses) arrived. I'm hoping the additional flow will aid my cyanobacteria battle. I've also ordered some Vallis and Sagittaria to hopefully take some nutrients from the substrate. I'm down to 9 lemon tetras, from about 17 since the house move but today I only had 0.25 on the nitrites so I'm nearly there on the cycle front.

The Cory tank is doing much better, immediately settled with no cycle, so I've added a L471 (Hypancistrus, mini snowball) that I've caught glimpses of since adding, but not a lot.

(I'm planning to get some Otto's so I'm leaving the algae on the back for them 😁🙈).

Positive news on the fish tanks, but in not so positive news, I lost my Tortoise this week. He woke up from his hibernation but passed away 48 hours later. He never really grew as you'd expect, so I suspect he wasn't from a particularly good breeder. We can't decide if we should get another at the moment, we will maybe look to rescue one.

Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Sorry for your loss Ben :(
The tanks are looking good, hopefully the cycle from the move will settle soon.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Sorry to hear about your tortoise :(
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)