Stephen's new 425L SeaBray Elite tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Stephen wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 0:10 am Now what do I do ?
Nothing. Hopefully there's enough cover with your aquarium but only the fittest will survive.

Unless your planning on moving the fry to a separate grow out aquarium, make sure your other fish are reasonably well fed and start adding raw cucumber slices. I left one panel of glass to allow fresh algae to form for the fry to feed on.

I will warn you, it's going to get messy.

Also @Stephen like with most of the Loricariidae family, once they start breeding, think you'll find this will be a regular occurrence and that usually constitutes 200 to 300 fry at a time. Presently, I have around 70 or 80 Ancistrus fry in a grow out tank in the garage, plus a few in the main Puddle aquarium I haven't managed to catch yet. :dodgy2:

With these Ancistrus Honeycomb Bristlenose fry, I should imagine you'll be able to sell these once they grown to around 1" inch or more. :]
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

I've actually found that the "BN breeding tank" (the Trigon) is cleaner than the two tanks with single males in.....and that's with the standard Juwel internal.....unless it's because there's lots of plants hiding the mess... ;) :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1431 times
Been liked: 3442 times

@Martinspuddle
I have around 70 or 80 Ancistrus fry in a grow out tank in the garage, plus a few in the main Puddle aquarium I haven't managed to catch yet. :dodgy2:
How did you catch the ones you have in the grow out tank ? Small net or something else.
How big is your grow out tank ?

Tonight's Update:
I grabbed my small torch to have another look.
I counted around 30 fry tonight; this does not include the ones on or behind the foliage, so likely more.

Now what do I do ?

I've never been able to breed any fish previously.
I've hoped to breed Corydoras and the Cupid cichlids but without success, although they have gone through the motions.
This is my first time with the Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519).
I was hoping to keep just one pair and re-home the other pair (re-homing the other pair is quite easy).
Re-homing the babies should be quite easy too.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 11 x Cory caudimaculatus, 9 x Cory sterbai 77 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Martinspuddle

Stephen wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 0:00 am How did you catch the ones you have in the grow out tank ? Small net or something else.
Nets, medium size and patience. I wait until their on the front glass before trying to catch them.

I don't get very many fry as I only feed three days a week, so only fittest survive. Does have a downside though, that the Ancistrus fry are very wary of any movement.
Stephen wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 0:00 am How big is your grow out tank ?
Juwel Primo 60 with sponge air filter. Water parameters are the same as the main aquarium. Fry are fed a mixture of Cucumber, catfish pellet and flake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

I'd be up for a honeycomb baby thats for sure!
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:53 am I'd be up for a honeycomb baby thats for sure!
I'll second that. :]
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2364 times
Been liked: 2053 times

Brilliant news @Stephen Those honeycombs are really good looking fish, I find it easier to catch them when they are a little larger by gently lifting an object they may be on then catching them in a net underneath, in the meantime though they go around putting little holes in all the plant leaves! Like Martin I don't have that many survive never had to contend with 30 odd so good luck with that! Really hope they do all survive, honeycombs are not the most common fish, more in the hobby cannot be a bad thing :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
(230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Primo 70l - Limia Islai
40l/70L - Black- bellied Limia/Paradise fish.)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1431 times
Been liked: 3442 times

Tonight's Update (Thursday):
I grabbed my small torch again to have another look.
I physically counted around 37 fry tonight; this does not include the ones on or behind the foliage, so likely over 40 fry in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 11 x Cory caudimaculatus, 9 x Cory sterbai 77 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)