Random Cory death

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

It could be something in the water, it would be good if you can get a reply from them.
Otherwise, I wonder if something has been missing from the diet, but then why would it affect the gourami as well?
What and when have you added to the tank in the six months prior to the problems?
CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

@plankton still waiting for an email from them but I have contacted them.

The last additions were 6th Feb. 3 pandas. The last one passing last night, the other two dying three weeks after adding. My first casualty was 31st January. Prior to that I added 3 sterbai around mid December. Everything was fine until end of January. Then I lost 1 panda.

The rest of the deaths occurred after 6th Feb. My honey was showing illness issues just after, with the rapid breathing. Also not eating. This was around 18th Feb.

So it was either the sterbai that brought something in (if anything).

The speed in which they appear to be dying makes me think virus or parasite or something water based in the tap.... I’ve even bought a new bottle of prime to eliminate it being that!
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
CattyV

Well another one dying. I think I’ve been put off any more catfish for sure.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

CattyV wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 22:00 pm Well another one dying. I think I’ve been put off any more catfish for sure.
Corydoras are wonderful.
Sort your filter cleaning routine (clean a lot less often), add high protein food to the diet and keep Corydoras in a group of at least 6 of the same species.
It's all a learning curve when keeping a new fish species.
You're a good caring fish keeper, don't be put off.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I agree with @Stephen, plus the fact that a lot of the sterbai and panda are weak stock.
I agree that it looks like the sterbai might have brought something in.
I'd finish the course of treatment, then do the biggest water change you can and start again with the remaining fish.
Give it 6 weeks before getting any new ones though.
Did you get the sterbai and pandas from a "reputable" shop?
CattyV

Thank you @Stephen and @plankton sorry I would have replied earlier but I couldn’t get on the website. Wouldn’t let me.

I have one sterbai left. I mean are there any hardier corydoras? I won’t be adding anything in for at least 4-6 weeks. The treatment for flukes has been in 7 days today so I think it’s water change day after that.

Other fishes seem ok for now (touching a lot of wood!!!!).

Just feel so disheartened. I loved those peppered corys. Such characters and to see them die one by one is heartbreaking.

What would be a good protein frozen food? And pellet wise I feed 40% proteins or higher. Plus a wafer (hikari). I mean i know new life spectrum are good brand wise?

I got the fish from two different branches of Maidenhead Aquatics. I’ve never really had issues with them but I know the pandas one has in currently are suffering from bacterial infections. So, likely the stock in question and how they were shipped maybe?

Just don’t understand how they’ve survived 4+ months and in the last week died one by one. Never lost 7 fish so quickly.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

These cory should be fine and at your tank water temperature.

Salt and Pepper Cory (Corydoras habrosus)
False Bandit Cory (Corydoras melini)
Bandit Cory (Corydoras metae)
False Adolfo Cory (Corydoras duplicareus)
Black Sail Cory (Corydoras melanistius)
Miguelito Cory (Corydoras virginiae)
Rusty Cory (Corydoras rabauti)
Just to name a few.

Make sure you have at least 6 x of a species as they do better in groups of their own kind.
If the cory appear very small then go back after a few weeks. I bought some Panda cory a few years ago that were about 1cm-1.5cm long (far too small), they didn't survive for long.
My current Gold laser cory were quite small when I bought them but I trusted the LFS (my favourite LFS). On arrival home (some 65 miles) a bag of cory (5) were all dead. The LFS replaced them (free of charge).
Now, as a precaution, I take a bottle of Melafix with me and add 2 drops to each bag of Corydoras.
Corydoras can easily get stressed and will excrete a toxin, this toxin will kill all the other fish in the bag. Melafix will help to reduce the stress.
I do not have a quarantine tank but do place any new fish in a temporary holding tank (with heater and air stone or filter) for at least 24 hours so that I can observe the fish.
I prefer to see the new fish in the flesh at the LFS before buying, just to check that the fish look and act normal.
I have, however, bought fish on-line from reputable stockists and will always place them in a temporary holding tank for at least 24 hours (usually for 3 days) for observation.

As for food, my cory granules are at least 50% protein based so your food at 40% proteins or higher should be fine.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)