Random Cory death

CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

plankton wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 am Have a look at the ingredients for the NT Labs buffer. Sodium shouldn't be present. ;)
I'd still be tempted to stop using a buffer and just do two smaller changes per week.
I will do! Should arrive today.

Problem is my tap water has less than 1 KH. It’s that soft. So just gradually reduces the tanks KH to 0. I believe from the reading I’ve done, if the taps KH is higher then water changes would stabilise the tanks reading and raise/neutralise the KH to a more middle of the range reading. But as mine is lower from the tap (it’s 2kh max), it makes the tank even lower still. I’ve decided to keep a happy medium and stick with 3-4kh. Just see how it goes

The LFS maintain them at 18 KH so going from that to 0 in my tank might have killed the new corys. That and weak stock? The current corys had to adjust to a change so maybe that topped them but can’t be sure at all.

I won’t be touching the filter for a couple months now don’t worry @Stephen 😂 I added carbon in it last night after the water change but that’s about as much prodding as it had! The rest I left alone and just cleaned glass, gravel/sand and 3 of my 10 silk plants that were filthy.
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4204 times

Remember to remove the carbon in a week or so as its only useful for removing chemicals and/or odour from the tank :)
CattyV

Will do @fr499y i never usually keep it in. I have a nitrate and phosphate filter pad instead I use. But carbon I rarely have running
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

You do use new carbon and not old, don't you..... ;)
Also, just had another "out of the tank" thought.....your water doesn't go through a water softener or anything does it (I shouldn't imagine it does)?
CattyV

@plankton haha yes it is brand new out of the packet carbon. I know they only last short time, mainly why I don’t use it! I prefer the filter pads that absorb nitrates as they clear the water too.

Not that I am aware of. The only thing the company said was that the chlorine ups during colder months. Nothing more.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
CattyV

I’m back!

So no more corys. The last one passed Monday. And this morning woke up to my last honey dead. She had these marks and wondered if anyone has any idea? No signs of illness otherwise. She was eating ok last night too. But no idea what this is. Maybe a blood hemorraghe?

Just tetras and rasboras now. Not having any luck. And still clueless if all connected. Though I do think this death was unrelated to be honest.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Sorry to hear of more losses. :(
It's probably just the tail muscle breaking down that's made it that colour.
How old were the "honeys"? I've found they don't live much past 2 or 3 years.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Sorry to hear of your losses :(
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)