Otocinclus Catfish

Chappers15

Otocinclus Catfish

Post by Chappers15 »

Hi, lm looking to get 6 otos for my aquarium. I’ve done research and found some very contrasting information, some suggesting that they’re durable fish, and others saying they’ll die instantly.

I have a 12 gal tank with 2 dwarf Sagittaria and a Cryptocoryne and plenty of algae. I will also supplement their diet with wafers and vegetables. Will this be enough for them or should I look into getting different fish?

Thanks

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Otocinclus Catfish

Post by fr499y »

both are true. Most ( if not all ) are wild caught and will either die in a few days/weeks when added to the tank, or live a long and happy life.

BigBen
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 912 times

Post by BigBen »

I've not heard of captive bred Oto's as they're difficult to breed. Gill on here has managed it. The key to them being successful is a full stomach when you buy them, be selective with your shop if they're not looking full or they are sunken. As they're wild caught, for long term success soft water helps.
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2777 times
Been liked: 2781 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

....also, the larger the group the better. They are found in their hundreds in the wild. :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

martin rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by martin rick »

I've very recently introduced 2 as the first fish in my refurbished aquarium. Both seem to be fit and well and enjoying the abundant algae. The tank's about 75 litres and I've read that they're better off in larger groups, but there were just 2 in the shop.

Stephen
Guru TOTM Winner
Guru TOTM Winner
Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 2309 times

Post by Stephen »

I have had 8 Otos for around 5 years or so now.
I introduced another 12 Otos about 2-3 months ago, 10 of which survive today (so lost 2), I have 18 Otos in total.
6 foot (550L) - Rio Nanay themed
9 x juvenile Biotodoma Cupido, 70 x Hyphessobrycon amandae, 15 x Corydoras agassizii (other fish will be added in the near future)

2 foot (120L) - Breeding tank
re-vamped, re-planted and getting ready