Peacock cichlids with electric yellow / yellow labs - New Setup

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Tracid_Dan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

I am brand new to cichlids keeping, I used to keep Discus but have just decided its time for a change.

I have just set up and stocked my 400ltr tank with 32 juvenile peacocks, its been going for 3 weeks and all going great. I just added two electric yellow / yellow labs and they have settled in perfectly and seems to fit right in with the peacocks.

I seem to have everything working perfectly and the fish are growing well and showing some great colour. Aggression is minimal as well. PH is 8.2, ammonia 0, nitire 0, nitrate 0-5ppm. I am currently doing a 30-40% water change every 3 days to help grow them out.

I have 1 FX4, 1 Fluval 407 and 1 APS 1000EF which has a Vecton UV600 sterilizer attached (just for double security).

The only thing that I am unsure on is the quantity of food to give them at each feed. I am using Vitalis rift lake green and rift lake red small pellets (a combination of both) and a few Vitalis cichlid flakes now and then. I am kind of guessing how much food to throw in at a time. Is there any formular for working out the actual quantity of pellets? Whatever happens its all eaten straight away, but I am slightly concerned that a couple of the smaller fish might not be getting enough?

Also, will this diet also be ok for my two electric yellows? Any advice on all of the above would be great, I am pretty sure I am doing it all pretty well though. I do have about 3 small peacocks which have little colour and are not growing much / if at all, although they are not being picked on.... All advice is much appreciated
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with cichlids so can't tailor the answer to your needs. However I generally work on a volume of food equivalent to the volume of one eye on the fish for adults and between 25% and 50% more than that for juveniles in peak growing periods.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Tracid_Dan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Thanks for the reply, its just really difficult to judge what that equivalent of 1 eye x 35 small peacock cichlids is. Is there any way to kind of get a regular dose of food, i.e. 1 level teaspoon's worth, or a level table spoons worth etc...??