Breeding Angel looking ragged

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Argonian
Has liked: 2 times

Hi, new to the forum!
Been fishkeeping for about 5 years.
I have a 240l community tank in which are 3 angels, two female, one male. One of the females has paired up with the male and they lay eggs frequently, but they always get eaten when the light goes out (I suspect the Siamese algae eaters)
Anyway, they laid eggs yesterday, all eaten by this morning, and the female is looking really ragged, she normally has a straight tail fin, but it looks awful. The male looks like normal. I did notice last time they were laying there was a lot of lip locking behaviour between them. Could it be the male? Any advice?

Thanks
Argonian

The white marble one is the female, normally has a straight tail like the male (pictured)

keithmart
Been liked: 13 times

Hi

It is not unusual. Cichlid egglaying can be a rough experience. . you could separate her, and give her a rest. Angels normally spawn every fortnight if conditions are right

Why not set up another tank with just the pair in and see how they look after their fry.
Regards

Keith
Leeds UK

Remember you are unique .......Just like everyone else
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If she was trying to protect the eggs it could have happened then.
A drop of Melafix will help it to regrow, as long as you don't keep pencilfish in the tank. Half dose if you have any gourami or bettas.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4246 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

A 240 litre aquarium, I'd remove the third party as with a pair form a breeding bond, life for the other female will become very uncomfortable.

As for the eggs disappearing at night, I suspect it's the parents getting bored, this is normal and will take many attempts before they get it right even in a community aquarium. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I'll second what Martin said. I had 6 Angel's in my 5ft tank. 2 paired up the began to batter the other 4 ton the point where I had to rehome them.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Argonian

Okay, thanks for your help. I may have to re-home the lone female, as my only other tank is a little 40l with some tiny rasboras and a dwarf gourami.

The "parents" have laid eggs probably 10 times now, I've seen them eat some eggs the first few times, but I've definitely noticed as soon as they get distracted by something the SAEs are straight in there.

I'll get some Melafix đź‘Ť