Pearl or Thick-Lipped Gourami?

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

DoubleDutch wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 19:24 pm My vote goes to Pearls but wouldn't keep.a single one.
Any reason why not a single?

Starting to feel guilty now about having a boy by himself, my tanks not big enough for a group unfortunately.
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

I've kept Pearls always in pairs and think they are quite social fish (exceptions) which feel more secure with company of their own species.

We humans often decide to keep (social) fish single cause we can't provide enough space to show their sometimes boisterous behaviour (Angels for instance). To me one simply shouldn't keep these fish then. But that's my personap opinion.
Sixo
Posting Legend

My original intention was to keep them as a peaceful pair but it didn't work out. if I find someone with a bigger tank with group of them I'll maybe let them have him if not he's pretty chilled where he is.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Well the boy is away to a 4ft tank with several pearls and floating plants aplenty, shame because I did like him but probably a much happier home for him in the long run.
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

Well done !!!!!
Sixo
Posting Legend

I'm starting to feel like an aquatic version of the dogs trust, wanting to know what people's level of experience is and what what their tanks looks like 😂
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

No bad thing mate. I couldn’t have let my previous tank go unless it was somebody experienced. I’ve also refused a tank sale when the guy was there with the cash because it was a 29L tank and he told me it was for overwintering some goldfish 🤦🏽‍♀️😬.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sixo wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 16:37 pm I'm starting to feel like an aquatic version of the dogs trust, wanting to know what people's level of experience is and what what their tanks looks like 😂
I did that with the platy/plat-tail/swotty fry. The good thing is only people seriously interested and who care will take the time to get back to you :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Sixo
Posting Legend

I think it's great when you rehome something and people send you a wee photo and let you know they're getting on alright. I think it's just the responsible thing to do to make sure they go to good homes, especially with all the stress that comes with transporting them.

Sometimes people just don't have any idea what they're getting into with fish care, it's a bit of a balancing act trying to advise someone without them taking it the wrong way.

I think most people who really stick it out in the hobby for any length of time are the ones who have made mistakes and are willing to learn from them.

I might let my floating Hornwort grow for a bit and possibly get a few Honey Gouramis down the line but will probably take a wee step back and focus on a re-scape re-scape, just enjoy the fish I've got for now.