AFUK betta fan club!!!

Betta's, Gouramis etc
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

Dont understand the comments about bettas and neons! Mine get on brilliantly. Maybe it's because I have quite a few.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

no its because every Betta is different. The type can play a massive part in it as well. Yours might be fine, but you could go out and buy another if/when yours passes, and it could murder everything over night. The point is, putting anything in with Betta's is a risk.
MasonJ19

Hmm I kind of disagree with the statement putting anything with a betta is a risk or atleast no more of a risk than other territorial fish, like my kribensis. I would say it's only a risk if the tank is to small, like with any territorial fish. Bettas arent aggressive fish, territorial yes but they are slow and lazy. Their fighting fish/aggressive reputation is more stemmed from how they are with each other, 2 males fighting it out. I think someone should worry more about putting a betta with another betta rather than with something like a neon or other peaceful species unless they are fin nippers. But obviously tank size is everything. I cant personally see a betta constantly swimming around a larger tank and chasing other fish and killing them unless it's a tiny tank.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

If the tank is big enough anything might work, but, as with all living creatures (and to quote Monty Python) "We're all individuals"....... ;)
Advice will always be cautionary as we have a responsibility to our pets. :)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

MasonJ19 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 13:35 pm Dont understand the comments about bettas and neons! Mine get on brilliantly. Maybe it's because I have quite a few.

I will say that although I had a group of neons in with my betta, the tank was too small and that's why I ended up with the problems I did.

Thankfully my boy has recovered 100%, his tail and fins have regrown beautifully and you'd never know there had been a problem. The neons are now in the big tank and are doing well. They will be even better in the new big tank when I get it in a few weeks, hopefully.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I did have a betta in a 70ltr planted tank with neons - and he chased them around relentlessly and killed a few in the process. That was a veiltail betta, so long fins and all.
Having said that, that was my only bad experience of a betta. Others have been well behaved or even timid.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Ric wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 19:23 pm I did have a betta in a 70ltr planted tank with neons - and he chased them around relentlessly and killed a few in the process. That was a veiltail betta, so long fins and all.
Having said that, that was my only bad experience of a betta. Others have been well behaved or even timid.
Individual ;)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

MasonJ19 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 15:25 pm I cant personally see a betta constantly swimming around a larger tank and chasing other fish and killing them unless it's a tiny tank.
You should meet Barry. He uses every inch of my 3ft tank.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

fr499y wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 13:06 pm
MasonJ19 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 15:25 pm I cant personally see a betta constantly swimming around a larger tank and chasing other fish and killing them unless it's a tiny tank.
You should meet Barry. He uses every inch of my 3ft tank.
Ditto that, mine also uses the entire tank which is just shy of 3ft. Mine is also called Barry.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
MasonJ19

Yeah mine does to but he does it in his own time really. I'm sure my 3 ft tank feels like a 6ft to him.