Aaaah.....that's betta

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

So, I have a couple of tanks running on my kitchen table that housed musk turtles a while ago but were cleaned out and kept running (although pretty bare) because I was sure something would go in them at some point.

As it turns out one has now become a quarantine tank for my soon to be snakehead purchases, which drew my attention to the other which seems a bit redundant now as I am only likely to need one quarantine so considered emptying it and getting rid but then thought it may be useful for cultivating moss/shrimp colonies in so left it.

Then, Lo and Behold I saw this chap while browsing for something totally different:

£19.99, seemed reasonable for such an exquisite creature, but then saw £19.99 for P&P ::eek:: (£19.99, you must take me for a fool sir!!).

However, read a bit further and the shop selling him is only 4 miles from me so order placed and collecting on Monday, hopefully with a couple of nicely painted ladies for company.

Tank is not sorted yet (just some wood and plastic plants) so he may have to put up with my fat fingers entering his domain (Oooer missus!!) a couple of times as I adjust things to the Playboy penthouse he deserves ::thumb::
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3412 times

Triumph-Rat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 15:43 pm

£19.99, seemed reasonable for such an exquisite creature, but then saw £19.99 for P&P ::eek:: (£19.99, you must take me for a fool sir!!).
Very nice ;]
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Triumph-Rat

Stephen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 16:00 pmVery nice ;]

I kept and bred these many years ago as a yoof, but there was nothing like this available back then, or if there was my paper round money wouldn't cover it!
Last edited by Triumph-Rat on Wed Oct 14, 2020 16:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

What a beauty! Lucky he was so close.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Nice looking fish. This is a pic of the actual fish then, the one that is in-store right now? Not just some stock picture?

[And congratulations for the "cheesiest thread title" ROFL ROFL ]
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

How do you not know you have a shop 4 miles from you that sells such beauty???
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1826 times

When you say “nicely painted ladies” i’m Hoping it’s my asd-esque brain not getting some sort of joke. You absolutely cannot keep male and female bettas together; other than a few minutes breeding they’ll basically kill each other. And male bettas don’t always do well with tankmates (you’re best introducing them, then adding the betta last).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5061 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Yes, he he very handsome, but probably won't be for long if you put females in with him.
Something will have to give, unless the tank is at least 6' with lots of cover (I saw one once that was set up like that and it appeared to be working).
You will need to get the females out after spawning as the male will guard the nest/eggs/fry to the death from anything else in the tank.
Then of course you'll need the hundreds of jamjars to put the fry in once they're of a size that the male wants to eat them......
Triumph-Rat

plankton wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:44 am Yes, he he very handsome, but probably won't be for long if you put females in with him.
Something will have to give, unless the tank is at least 6' with lots of cover (I saw one once that was set up like that and it appeared to be working).
You will need to get the females out after spawning as the male will guard the nest/eggs/fry to the death from anything else in the tank.
Then of course you'll need the hundreds of jamjars to put the fry in once they're of a size that the male wants to eat them......
I thought I had replied to this thread earlier but must have forgot to hit the post button.

As mentioned, I have bred these before (many years ago) so aware of the pitfalls.

I was originally going to divide the tank over the weekend so they could have a side each, but have decided that they are too pretty to have a cobbled together divided tank so going to buy 2 shiny new nanos for them this afternoon ::thumb::
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Nice fish.

I've seen a few posts like the first one, where do you find these fish online? I'd like a browse through some sort of fishbay where I can look for a couple of the less common fish I'd like to keep.