Good matches with Zebra Danios

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
FishLadyUK
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 2 times

Hey Guys,

From your own experiences, which fish best match with Danios for compatibility ? And the number in the groups ?

I am only starting out, I have 4 Danios and sooo many articles out there about what is best.

Thank you,
Pegler89
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

I bought 6 ZDs and 4 swordtails as starter fish last month. They get on swimmingly (pun fully intended)
I also bough 4 Corys and 2 BN catfish which also get no bother given there positions in the environment
FishLadyUK

That is good to know, thank you. I will research swordtails. I definitely want a colourful tank. I was thinking maybe a Honey Gourami and have them as a pair.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

@FishLadyUK I started with 5 ZDs,
8 Neon Tetras,
5 pepper Corys,
and 5 guppies, as well as 2 Gourami and 6 Otocynclus.
No problems whatsoever.
the tank is 40 gallons.
remember that the Danios are "manic" and need plenty of space to dash about.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Which fish you stock depends entirely on your water parameters. Honey gourami are very much soft water fish (my gH of 2 suits them well) whereas swordtails are hard water species (I know nothing about them other than they are utterly unsuitable for my water).
If I remember, you have the danios as they were recommended for a fish-in cycle? I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to survive for as long as they should, and would absolutely stick fish suited to your water rather than necessarily matching them to the current inhabitants. Stock choice will also depend on tank dimensions, filtration and level of water flow.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 22:48 pm If I remember, you have the danios as they were recommended for a fish-in cycle?
:cry:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Lazy Saint
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 33 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 22:48 pm Which fish you stock depends entirely on your water parameters. Honey gourami are very much soft water fish (my gH of 2 suits them well) whereas swordtails are hard water species
I can't agree more, VikingMummy writes wise words.
Unless you have the ability, knowledge and enthusiasm to alter and maintain a specific water condition go with fish that thrive in the conditions you have. If you have hard water look towards Sword and Guppies, to name just two.
If you fall in love with the beautiful Discus and keep them in hard water you will have unhappy fish and nobody wants to see their fish unhappy do they.
Good luck with your research, that is a part of the learning curve and most of all, enjoy.
Best wishes as always,
The Lazy Saint.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Yes, the 54l isn't big enough long-term for danios as they are pretty mad around the tank. A 3' tank is best.
I believe you have harder water as well, so small rainbows like furcatus and gertrudae with smaller livebearers like guppies, although danios may well nip guppy finnage, especially in a small tank.
FishLadyUK

Thanks Plankton, I am definitely going to look at swordtails and small rainbows.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Swordtails will be too big for a 54l. ;)
Platies may be ok, but I'd probably go for something bigger than a 2' tank if I were to keep them again.