Anyone had a siamese algae eater?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Suse wrote: Thank you so much, they are gorgeous and that's incredibly helpful. How old are they? Your tank looks pretty much BBA / hair algae free, is that right?
Those two aren my newest so aren't very old but not sure on exact age but, maybe  6-9 months.

Yeah no BBA or Hair algae. Some green spot algae on the crypts though as you might have seen in the video and on the rocks, but I like a bit algae on the rocks as it makes it looked "weathered" and gives the snails and shrimp (and SAE!) something to nibble on.

The SAE do eat normal fish food though, some people say that if you over feed your "normal" fish food then they sometimes will prefer that over the algae, but I am quite lean on what i feed so its not something I have experienced.
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

Would have liked more than one but one was all my tank would accommodate. The hair algae was becoming an issue but the (young) SAE cleaned it all up in no time at all. Proof that it was his work came in the greenness of his stools! Highly recommended if you have the fish capacity though I would suggest more than one if possible.

As an aside, the LFS that I got my SAE from told me that they'd have it back if I wanted to return it later. Seems they are considered workers as much as pets.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

My SAE demolished the hair algae my tank suffered from, except for the stuff growing very near the surface. Unfortunately I had to let it go as my tank's too small so I can't comment on how they get on when they're older.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Ooh I just noticed this was my old thread :) For anyone wondering, I went for turning down light intensity and once weekly dosing of the higher (water change) dose of Flourish Excel. BBA pretty much disappeared though does creep back if I miss out the Excel for a few weeks. Might try a fortnightly dose.