Anyone had a siamese algae eater?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Just wondering about people's experiences! I like the idea of them eating hair algae, but a lot of people say they stop as they get older. My tank is the right size and parameters for one (if they can/should be kept singly?) and I quite like it for itself, but... the hair algae thing would be useful ;)
240 litre Fluval Roma - South American theme
PJN
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Aren't those the ones that will try and feed of fishes' mucus membranes? Amano shrimp will eat hair algae by the way ;)
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

That's a Chinese algae eater you're thinking of, but they are easy to mix up and often mis-sold by shops apparently. I like my Amanos but I think it would take a lot to make a dent in my big tank, and they're expensive!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I think thats the chinese algae eater not the siamese algae eater (CAE not SAE).
I always liked this image to distinguish between the 4 easily confused species (CAE, SAE, Flying fox and and Garra Taeniata) :)

Edit: Suse beat me to it ;)
Last edited by Gingerlove05 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 17:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: I think thats the chinese algae eater not the siamese algae eater (CAE not SAE).
I always liked this image to distinguish between the 4 easily confused species (CAE, SAE, Flying fox and and Garra Taeniata) :)

They are often mislabelled in shops so Gingerlove picture is really good reference for them.

I have four. I keep them in pairs. They do go around together and they are active fish so if you have very timid fish they may get spooked.

I haven't ever found them aggressive and have kept them with all sorts, even shrimp and they have shown no interest. 

Good algae eaters though as they go to all levels of the tanks.
Last edited by stuaz on Thu Feb 21, 2019 19:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

stuaz wrote:
Gingerlove05 wrote: I think thats the chinese algae eater not the siamese algae eater (CAE not SAE).

They are often mislabelled in shops so Gingerlove picture is really good reference for them.

I have four. I keep them in pairs. They do go around together and they are active fish so if you have very timid fish they may get spooked.

I haven't ever found them aggressive and have kept them with all sorts, even shrimp and they have shown no interest. 

Thanks Stuaz, that's very helpful. Do they keep eating hair algae as they get older? I've got my otos to keep other algae in check, but the blasted hair algae and black brush keeps lingering... I've adjusted lights and CO2 so it's much less than before, but I really want something to just EAT the wretched stuff ;) Plus I really like the look and activity of SAEs. My LFS definitely has true SAEs according to the picture above (thanks Iain!)
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Suse wrote:
stuaz wrote:

Thanks Stuaz, that's very helpful. Do they keep eating hair algae as they get older? I've got my otos to keep other algae in check, but the blasted hair algae and black brush keeps lingering... I've adjusted lights and CO2 so it's much less than before, but I really want something to just EAT the wretched stuff ;) Plus I really like the look and activity of SAEs. My LFS definitely has true SAEs according to the picture above (thanks Iain!)
They do eat less algae as they get older as they do get less active. They will devour BBA and hair algae (although I find shrimp better for hair algae). 

They are constantly foraging for food and they do get little round stomach when full which for some reason I find funny (I'm weird I know!).

Would you like me to post a video to show you them doing there thing?
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

[quote="stuaz" pid='20338' dateline='1550780906']

They do eat less algae as they get older as they do get less active. They will devour BBA and hair algae (although I find shrimp better for hair algae). 

They are constantly foraging for food and they do get little round stomach when full which for some reason I find funny (I'm weird I know!).

Would you like me to post a video to show you them doing there thing?
[/quote]

That would be amazing, if it's not too much trouble! I don't mind them getting less active as they get older - don't we all ha ha ;) As long as they still eat some.
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Apologies for the background noise!

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/nCOJj8aKLk8[/video]
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thank you so much, they are gorgeous and that's incredibly helpful. How old are they? Your tank looks pretty much BBA / hair algae free, is that right?