Help!! What is this!? Unexpected guest...

Loaches
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae

I have never seen a yo-yo loach that small. I can't believe that P@H would have any accidental breeding of a fish that just doesn't breed in aquariums....??????
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

plankton wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:26 am https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae

I have never seen a yo-yo loach that small. I can't believe that P@H would have any accidental breeding of a fish that just doesn't breed in aquariums....??????
I have seen that small once at Swallow Aquatics, Gravesend Kent.

Seem recall that if you have a big enough group with mature female, their as easily bred as Corydoras.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

I will try to get some clearer pictures of it. It's pretty small. It has been out around the tank, it seems to have recovered from its very difficult arrival.... I'm not sure if it's looking for others or food or what.

I decided to set up the much smaller tank for QT but have been reading now that diamonds are aggressive (?) unless they are in a large number. Guess that means I'm having all 10, so the little one will be too small even temporarily.

I think I will change over to the 80 ltr after all. So at the moment the yoyo is only in a 25ltr so don't be horrified by pics!
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Right here's a quick video. The colours are far sharper than last night, and it's very actively swimming about as you can see. Doesn't appear to be showing any effects from such a rude arrival..

https://youtu.be/3OBl9nrg5jg

What do you think? Is it a yoyo?

Ta
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

I'm still saying yoyo😆
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Yep looks like a young yoyo loach :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Scott.turner28
Been liked: 14 times

Deffo yoyo.. kuli are same but different colour
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Yes - yoyo. Lovely colour on your tank guest :)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Scott.turner28 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 17:02 pm Deffo yoyo.. kuli are same but different colour
Khulis are more elongated, a bit more like mini eels ;)
Yoyos are so called because their markings generally look like the word “yo-yo” :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

I knew it wasn't a khuli, I've seen those before. After I got over the surprise of finding it to start with I thought loach just wasn't sure what sort. But thanks to IDs on here it's definitely a yoyo, especially now it's got over its fright and coloured up 😊!!