Whats going on here?

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I noticed that the golden little guppy (its about 4 months old) seems to be knocking hell out of the larger one. That particular larger black tailed guppy has a reputaion of nibbling other members of its species, to the extent that it is accused of actually killing 2 of them when all three were in the Community Tank. I noticed that Black-Tail was harrassing the other two, and later within 2 weeks these were dead. So I bought another 4, and after 4 weeks quarantine introduced them into the CT. That was three weeks ago. All seemed harmonious until yesterday when I managed to film the chase. It went on for about a full 5 minuites. Is Black-Tail getting his cumuppance at last?
https://youtu.be/gzM4o8oFbsM
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2117 times
Been liked: 761 times

Hard to tell if both are male or female or one a female the other a male... Could be a male chasing a female.
Create Not Hate
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Both male.
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2117 times
Been liked: 761 times

Could be sizing each other up are the others female?
Create Not Hate
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

That just looks like typical male sparring, there isn't any biting going on and if it stopped after 5 mins I wouldnt be too worried unless its going on a lot. Male rainbows do this sort of side by side matching up with some jostling quite often but it rarely worsens to serious aggression. Keep an eye on it though if it gets too frequent. Make sure they have space to get away from each other.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Thanks @KevB That's very re-assuring. I think its a bit cheeky for the little one to try his chances ::crazy::
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

The main problem here is that your black-tailed one will be exhausted quicker because he has the big tail to drag along. As long as this ''attempted spawning'' behaviour is spread around the whole group, it should be ok. Its when the others all think that one is ''most likely to be female'', that this turns into harassment which then leads to stress which then (likely) ends up in death.
The downside of livebearers in a single-sex tank. The only way round it, imho, would be to up the numbers of the group as much as possible to spread any stress/harassment around.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

I think the yellow one may be gay - it happens with guppies a lot. (Apologies if that's the wrong expression, I can't keep up with what is ok and what isn't)

I do need a wee now after listening to the tank though........ :rolleyes:
Jon_D
Posting Legend

IAn........"I think the yellow one may be gay" Naw....t that only occurrs with Puffer fish!