Spiralling after water change?

WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hey all. Quick question, can a water change cause shock in fish?

Just done a water change on the Fusion. Tank has been doing well, hadn't lost any of the diamonds following the move to the new tank (other than one on the move day itself).

Just done a water change and one of the diamonds is now spiralling very erratically round the tank (I've put it into a big net that is propped at the surface).

Could this be caused by the water change?

No difference from the one last Sunday. Water pumped out. Vacc'd the sand a bit at the same time to lift the poop around the branches and things. Water temp matched in bucket, hot and cold taps from combi boiler, pumped back in from bucket in sink. Using Prime and added ferts and some liquid CO2 as per usual routine.

Everyone else appears to be OK and no other changes in the tank.

Cheers
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 1909 times

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along shortly just wanted to say had this happen couple of times both with fish that seek out the hose and sit in the flow, both times they have recovered, but now am trying to fill through colander idea nicked from YouTube so hopefully wont get this issue, hope your fishy recovers x
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

If the parameters are vastly different it can cause a shock. Whats the ph from the tap compared to the tank?
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

What’s your weather been like eg flooding or heavy rain that might have caused changes to the water parameters? I double checked mine today because we’ve had flooding.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

I'll have to check the PH but I tend to do smaller water changes now after the issues with the 80 ltr and swings in the PH with larger changes. As everything seemed settled I haven't been monitoring it as much.

Weather has been mostly cold really, not too much heavy rain lately. Weekend at least was dry.

Just keeping an eye on the tank and all other fish appear to be fine as far as I can see.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

It would normally be a parameter swing that would cause a water change to do that, unless it had got into the input flow and got too much of an O2 boost?
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Maybe.. I use the shepherd's crook end of my Eheim Ecco Pro to feed the water back in so it should be quite diffused... But you can see the bubbles in the water as it fills up.

Just checked it and thought it was swimming OK in the net so released it back into the tank. But it started twisting and almost standing on its tail, with its head at the surface. Just about to go into a meeting so I'll do a water test as soon as that finishes. In the meantime I've netted it again as that seems to help a bit.

All other fish are fine, no one showing any issues.

Ta