Anti bacterial treatment safe for snails?

Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

Hi all,

As per the title, please can you recommend an anti-bacterial treatment that is safe for snails?

Thanks
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Chadders
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 40 times

API melafix / pimfix I've used both with snail no problems
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I don't know whether the Interpet Anti Internal bacteria treatments affects snails or not, I can't see anything on the Interpet website.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I used Esha 2000 with both shrimps and snails- that was fine 😊 although in their instructions they say that they shouldn’t be used with snails ..
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Chadders wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 22:09 pm API melafix / pimfix I've used both with snail no problems
Thanks for the suggestion, however I have tried both of these (separately) with no improvement. I don’t think they are really proper medication. Pimafix says it is for fungal infection but I am now tending to think this is bacterial.
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Redpanda wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 am I used Esha 2000 with both shrimps and snails- that was fine 😊 although in their instructions they say that they shouldn’t be used with snails ..
This one I had already ruled out as it says it’s not suitable. I don’t think I’m willing to risk it.

I am really trying to avoid setting up a second tank, as although I have a bare tank I don’t have a working heater/filter/light. I also think moving the corys will be stressful, and moving all the snails pretty much impossible!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

It’s tricky because snails are pretty similar to some of the pathogens these medications are designed to kill off. Just how they’re designed (snails) means a lot of your more powerful meds are going to affect them. I just move my nerite into a different tank or a temporary tub (changing out the water daily for fresh dechlorinated water).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 16:39 pm I just move my nerite into a different tank or a temporary tub (changing out the water daily for fresh dechlorinated water).
Thanks, I have 8 nerites and countless MTS. I could certainly move the nerites out to a tub, but if I use a treatment that kills the MTS the ammonia spike will probably kill the corys! So my only option really is to move the corys, which means buying heater/filter. I guess light is optional. And then the time to get the hospital tank running. It isn’t ideal, so I just wanted to know if there was something I could use that wouldn’t require a move.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Seachem won't say whether Paraguard is invert/snail friendly as they can't test for all the inverts/snails but they do say that people have used it with inverts/snails.
It doesn't contain copper so that may be why it could be ok.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thank you @plankton I’ll have a look at that one!