Sick Venezuelan Cory

dphood

Sick Venezuelan Cory

Post by dphood »

Hi,

Wonder if anybody can help us with a sick Venezuelan Cory. He's currently not eating but seems to have white area's (doesn't seem fury) under the top fin and underneath the eye. I've tried taken the picture (i know its not the best but I've tried to zoom in) when I could get him in shot.

PH 6.8
Nitrite & Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 4236 times
Been liked: 3025 times

Re: Sick Venezuelan Cory

Post by plankton »

Difficult to tell from the pic, but try Melafix for starters, they react well to it.
You can also soak their food in crushed garlic to stimulate the appetite.

dphood

Post by dphood »

Thankyou, I've started to dose with melafix. Managed to get another pic of the Cory showing white beside his eye.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1200 times

Post by BigBen »

That looks like an infected cut to me, possibly fungal rather than bacterial, but would need someone else to confirm, I'm rubbish with what to treat with. I'd suggest changing the gravel to sand if you can, to prevent this happening in the future.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 903 times

Post by black ghost »

Not great pics but kinda looks like the white deposits they get from a diet too high in protein. What foods do you give them?
I would also change the substrate as that one looks very bad. The stress from not being able to behave normally could also be not helping. Corydoras should always be kept on sand.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1200 times

Post by BigBen »

black ghost wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 16:36 pm Not great pics but kinda looks like the white deposits they get from a diet too high in protein. What foods do you give them?
I would also change the substrate as that one looks very bad. The stress from not being able to behave normally could also be not helping. Corydoras should always be kept on sand.
I'm not sure it is that bubbling disease. That doesn't usually go white like that. At least the occasion I have seen it with my Weitzmani it didn't. Hard to tell still though.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper

black ghost
Posting Legend

Post by black ghost »

BigBen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 16:54 pm
black ghost wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 16:36 pm Not great pics but kinda looks like the white deposits they get from a diet too high in protein. What foods do you give them?
I'm not sure it is that bubbling disease. That doesn't usually go white like that. At least the occasion I have seen it with my Weitzmani it didn't. Hard to tell still though.
It’s usually [edited] white. Are you referring to gas bubble disease? I’m referring to the white fat and protein secretions that Corys produce from glands under the skin when their diet is too rich. They’ll go on their own once the diet is changed.
Last edited by black ghost on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dphood

Post by dphood »

Hi, everyone,

The gravel is JBL proscape plant soil for top layer and JBL volcano mineral that's underneath. The food that they are given is fishscience corydoras tablet food. The other Venezuelan 11 Cory's seems ok on the food. The Ill Cory hasn't touched food for the last 3 days. I did buy also buy the interpret anti fungus & finrot, also deals with cotton wool disease it states. Since I've started with melafix gather that I can't use the anti fungus treatment at the sametime or has people been able to use melafix with other treatments? Shame I can't seem to get a closer pic without causing stress.

dphood

Post by dphood »

Here's some more pics trying to get some decent ones

black ghost
Posting Legend

Post by black ghost »

They should really have a varied diet that includes frozen and ideally live foods. Variety is as important as quality.

That may be the issue. There isn’t a manufactured food out there that’s a suitable only food for any fish. It’s a good food, but If it is their only food, I think one fish out of 11 not taking it as well isn’t surprising.