Martin's old pond.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:49 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 21:57 pm No chance of a pond now, the boss is looking at moving to a bungalow with a bigger garden for Charlie ...have wait til then. :[
Not all bad that Martin. Bigger garden means bigger pond. :grin:
True, but it also means I will have to wait longer... might be too old by then. :cry:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

Only as old as you feel!
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

That all looks lovely! No filter for the fish? How did that work? I seem to remember when I was doing my dissertation I dug a pond to see if it would attract dragonflies. It was kept clear by a weed called elodea. I have some in this pond, but it hasn’t done the same job. Saying that it was put in as the weather got colder - maybe it will do its thing as it grows this year. Could I have fish with no filter ya think? How would I know if it would be safe?
Martinspuddle

Ruth wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 13:36 pm That all looks lovely! No filter for the fish? How did that work?
If the pond is heavily planted enough the plantlife will filter the pond naturally, the downside is you have watch how much livestock there is in the pond. If it becomes over stocked problems will arise so every so often, usually once a year I would have sell some fish on via ebay.
Ruth wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 13:36 pm It was kept clear by a weed called elodea.

My Canadian waterweed (Elodea canadensis) was planted in a pond basket fill with pea gravel and left at the very bottom of the pond. It was aloud to grow covering just under half the pond, leaving a view area to the right of the pond. I would have to chop it back twice yearly but the good side was there was always fresh growth. Other plants I had where a basket with common spike-rush (Eleocharis Palustris), dwarf pond lily, Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) yellow flowers March-April and a Japanese rush which I was trying out. All these plants don't get very large if kept under control, and to be honest most pond baskets need repotting every year or two anyway.

Many people use to keep ponds like this, my grandparents had for many years long before filters where available on the market. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:40 am
Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:49 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 21:57 pm No chance of a pond now, the boss is looking at moving to a bungalow with a bigger garden for Charlie ...have wait til then. :[
Not all bad that Martin. Bigger garden means bigger pond. :grin:
True, but it also means I will have to wait longer... might be too old by then. :cry:
Or this is just the incentive you need and you can be the 'driving force' (no pun intended, for a change) behind the move :grin:
Martinspuddle

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 16:57 pm
Ruth wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 13:36 pm That all looks lovely! No filter for the fish? How did that work?
Many people use to keep ponds like this, my grandparents had for many years long before filters where available on the market. ;)
@Ruth, while going my late fathers things, I found a picture of my Grandparents pond in their garden, no filter, just planted and dated 1955.

Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 14:55 pm i see a nice space for a raised pond.
Exclusive news! 🤣

Seeing as we are unlikely now to move a few years I have a cunning plan. It might involve a half whiskey barrel and be just outside the back door. Just got to work out the volume by ie litres and a possibility of having White Clouds Mountain Minnows in there, maybe even year around!

... watch this space as they say!
Ruth
Posting Legend

ooooOOOOOoooooooh!!! Sooooooooper!
Martinspuddle

Ruth wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 16:10 pm ooooOOOOOoooooooh!!! Sooooooooper!
Before you get to excited, don't forget...

...think small! :grin:
Ruth
Posting Legend

Ya could still squeeze a koi in that!