Project Wildlife - Revisit

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

Nice froggy!
Mol_PMB
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

The 'pond' is looking a bit meh at the moment due to not knowing whats happening with the sleepers behind it. They are falling down, so we are waiting to hear back as to what the course of action is.

The only wildlife I've seen is a few water beatles, the snail, a few birds have been visiting and chilling out on the edge and a cat :D
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Time to revisit the pond thread. This will be part of a bigger project later in the year or maybe early next year, depending on how it goes with the rest of the plans we have lined up.

We are still in planning stages, but we're hoping to have a nice natural pond without filters but will run a solar fountain for some movement. We have an area roughly 3m x 3m which should be plenty big enough for the pond section, and about the same to the side for a nice wooden gazebo.

I'l post pictures of the rough sketch at some point soon :)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

It's about time I revisit this post!
So I have a week off next month, and a few days after that which no doubt I'll be scratching my head on what to do. I guess its time to get this project going.

I think I'm going to go with pond liner and underlay so I can add plenty of plant shelves and shallow areas. I better get ordering!

tbc...
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Got most of the gravel relocated to the drive, some kept back in buckets for the pond itself.

Slabs have been laid for the front and side of the pond, and tomorrow I’ll work out how the hell I’ll do the back left corner section!

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

And we have an outline and the start of a hole!!

Turns out the ground is clay and glass ( pub ground previously ) so a lot of pissing around needed to tidy it up before I can even think of adding underlay and liner. Oh and I still need to order it! Thought I’d wait till the holes dug so I know what size to order hehe.

I think I’ll order a few bags of builders sand to Chuck in as well, just to make sure no rips!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Just like our garden. Dig lower than a couple of inches and its clay :rolleyes:
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Nearly done with digging! Next step is to check its level ( on top! ) and the fit the liner 😬

LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I tried digging a soakaway in my clay garden, all that happened was instant pond after rain so no liner needed here
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Did you know you can get dwarf water lilies that only need 6” of water and have a spread of about 12-18”? I knew there were small ones but I didn’t know they went that small.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.