Problem with nature pond

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
walker26
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 124 times

I built a nature pond a couple of months ago using a flexible liner. All was ok for 2 or 3 weeks but then the water went a bit green, which I was expecting and then the liner and rocks started to get covered in something red. I’d find a few dead tadpoles on the surface each day, the oxygenating plants started dying and surface plants aren’t as healthy as they should be.

I changed 50% of the water with dechlorinator and added some barley extract, EA Pure Pond and some activated carbon. Tadpoles have stopped dying and the water has got a bit clearer but I still have the red coating on everything and the pond weed (Spiked Water Milfoil and Elodea Densa) is still dying. Could someone please tell me what the red stuff is as I think this is what’s killing the pond weed. All advice appreciated. Thanks.
340 litre Aqua Oak
Fluval FX-4
Fluval Aquasky 2.0
Fluval Plant 3.0
Aquael Platinum 300W heater
4 x Angels (2 x breeding pairs)
6 x Gold Pristella Tetra
7 x Pristella Tetra
1 x Cardinal Tetra
1 x Female Rainbow Stiphodon Goby
8 x Sterbai Corys
6 x Ottocinclus
3 x Bristlenose
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

You need more oxygen in the pond. Pick up a cheap solar powered fountain as this will help massively.

Red in the pond is usually Euglena, a type of algae. It will absorb the O2 in the water, and stink. Remove as much as you can and increase the oxygen level as much as you can. Even a battery powered airpump and airstone will do the job
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Euglena is a genus of flagellated protozoans, that tend to cause a red tint to the water or in larger numbers a red surface scum. Red growth on submerged surfaces is likely to be algae. Same solution though. Wipe as much of it off and out as you feasibly can, and increase oxygenation, and/or plant growth.
walker26
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 124 times

That’s great info guys, thanks. I was contemplating buying a solar aerator but didn’t want to waste more money without some better advice, you’ve confirmed my suspicions. I now need to justify the expense to my wife or hide it, along with the new CO2 system for the aquarium. :s
340 litre Aqua Oak
Fluval FX-4
Fluval Aquasky 2.0
Fluval Plant 3.0
Aquael Platinum 300W heater
4 x Angels (2 x breeding pairs)
6 x Gold Pristella Tetra
7 x Pristella Tetra
1 x Cardinal Tetra
1 x Female Rainbow Stiphodon Goby
8 x Sterbai Corys
6 x Ottocinclus
3 x Bristlenose
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 834 times

walker26 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am That’s great info guys, thanks. I was contemplating buying a solar aerator but didn’t want to waste more money without some better advice, you’ve confirmed my suspicions. I now need to justify the expense to my wife or hide it, along with the new CO2 system for the aquarium. :s
I just added a solar fountain (simple floating, chuck it in and leave it job) and it's surprisingly good. Came with 4 different nozzles so you can choose the height of the water/ pressure it pumps out. I went for the highest and it's about 20inches. Works partially even when cloudy, but when the sun is out it's fantastic. My mum had a solar air pump, but they seem pretty weak by comparison. I'd deffo recommend a fountain over the air pump. Obviously different makes/ models may perform differently, but just my experiences.