Kidsgrove Tropicals - Stoke on Trent/Staffordshire

Found a LFS you rate highly? Post the details here.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Hi,

Use this place alot - great guys been around for 30years+ i believe.

Couple of their tanks in the store are brilliant.

Anyone else in the midlands use them? - or anywhere else

Thanks
Lee
Izzy

I've been here a few times before and they've always been really helpful and have a great range of stock. H D Reptiles in Stoke on Trent is also one i would recommend, they are always willing to help and spend time in giving advice.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I didnt even know about HD Reptiles - just looked on there site, i'll pop down maybe next weekend have a look around
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Will go and take a look - if you're in the Stoke area, there's a place called just fins (soon to relocate I'm told) that have been helpful with my first tank. They're also big on discus (discii?)
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I called into justfinns only last week - helpful shop. Not loads of tanks of fish, but alot of variation.

Apparently the new site is bigger so will definitely pop along once its done!

Have you tried A-Z aquatics - not too far down the a500 and hundreds of fish!
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Consider a-z added to the list!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@Lee_k

Hi Lee, I visited Kidsgrove Tropicals and Water Garden Centre today.
I also visited A-Z Aquatics Ltd, Balterley and Ripples Waterlife, Bridgemere.

my thoughts:
Kidsgrove Tropicals; a tropical store which is in the middle of a housing estate as opposed to being part of a garden centre, thanks goodness for the SatNav, it was around 100 miles from my home.
All the tanks were clean and tidy, no dead fish to be seen.
I asked the guy what fish species was a particular cichlid. He had to look up the answer and came back with "a red head cichlid", "ah yes the Tapajós" I replied.
I also attempted to speak to a young lady that worked there, on two occasions, she never spoke.
A good range of fish which all looked healthy and the prices were fair too. A good range of other stuff too, also at fair prices, some close to Amazon prices.
I liked the tropical display (as in a jungle) with water sprayed/misted periodically to keep everything humid; impressive.
I didn't buy anything as there were no fish species stocked that were on my list.

A-Z Aquatics Ltd, Balterley (just 7 miles from Kidsgrove Tropicals), we almost missed it and had to turn around but found it the second time.
This is an independent site that looks very much like an old greenhouse from the outside.
The fish tanks are in a large room to the right of the entrance, first impression on looking was not exciting but that soon changed.
Some nice fish, lots of species, many tanks were empty but there were loads of tanks with fish.
The tropical fish room was dimly lid (which benefits the fish) but bright enough to see the fish and labels.
They actually had some Garnet tetra which is on my list, but sadly I could only count 4. So we walked away empty handed.
I really liked A-Z Aquatics.

Ripples Waterlife, Bridgemere (just 7 miles from A-Z Aquatics), we have been here twice previously.
Lovely big garden centre but I was disappointed with Ripples Waterlife, we won't be going back there.
There were tanks with fish but lots of the tanks had some kind of artificial plant things which spoilt it.
The prices were a bit expensive when compared to the other two stores. Even the dry goods were expensive when comparing to the other stores.
I was disappointed the previous two visits here but more disappointed this time.
There were lots of aquariums for sale, a bit spoilt for choice and a good display of dry goods.
I have a feeling they won't be here in 12 months time.

Kidsgrove Tropicals and Water Garden Centre ::thumbu::
A-Z Aquatics Ltd, Balterley ::thumbu::
Ripples Waterlife, Bridgemere ::thumbd::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)