Should I be concerned?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Loser
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Hi everyone! It’s been a while. Hope you’re all staying safe during these troubled times.
This is a question about my common pleco who has something sticking out of his anus. He’s eating and pooping normally, he’s active and doesn’t appear to be in distress or pain. I’m wondering what this could be? I’ve done some research and someone suggested a prolapse. Do you know what this is and how I can resolve the issue?
Many thanks.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Quite normal for a Hypostomus plecostomus. :]

If you look up images on Google and look for picture showing the belly, you'll they all have this protrusion.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Loser

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:40 am Quite normal for a Hypostomus plecostomus. :]

If you look up images on Google and look for picture showing the belly, you'll they all have this protrusion.
That’s relieving, so this is nothing I should worry about? :tongue: I have looked up a few pictures and didn’t see it, I found a post with a similar issue and the answers were suggesting a prolapse. I panicked. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Years ago when I had a large Plecostomus, he had this and from what I remember is part of the anatomy of this family of fish. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

That’s a Pterygoplichthys, not a Hypostomus. It’s the male genital papilla. They often protrude, whereas the female’s is thicker but usually kept recessed.
Loser

This is wonderful! Thanks so much. Panic is over now. Thanks for everyone that responded.
Take care everyone!