water heater

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

Come on guys give me a break. I mean, do you honestly think I would try heating a 5lt aquarium with a 200W heater. Evidently some of you did going by your hilarious replies. :cry: When I first got the new heater I tried it in my 150lt tank and it had little if any effect on raising the temperature. That's when I tested it in a 5lt vessel and it took 40mins to increase the temp from 15C to 19C. so do you think its faulty? What I've just written makes sense to me but I can't wait to see what you comedians come back with :huh: The suspense is frightening.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4247 times
Been liked: 3909 times

algae wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:37 am Come on guys give me a break. I mean, do you honestly think I would try heating a 5lt aquarium with a 200W heater.
:grin: ...sorry, but it has been known on this forum.

When the heater was in the aquarium, did you see any bubbles appear around the element end of the heater, did you try increasing the temperature on the thermostat and was it warm to the touch? ...if not, cold dinner last night. :]

Yes, if none of the above happened then it's faulty.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:32 am
algae wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:37 am Come on guys give me a break. I mean, do you honestly think I would try heating a 5lt aquarium with a 200W heater.

When the heater was in the aquarium, did you see any bubbles appear around the element end of the heater, did you try increasing the temperature on the thermostat and was it warm to the touch? .

The heater misted rather than formed bubbles, The water temp in the 150lt tank was 21C when the new heater was introduced and set at 26C (an intended overkill) After half hour or so the temp stayed at 21C. At this point the heater did feel slightly warm to the touch but only slightly. I have just set up another test in the 5lt vessel to get a more accurate result.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4247 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Heater thermostat shouldn't mist, if it's not working, take it back for an exchange.

Funny enough I found an old heater among my odds and ends today and put in the 60 litre, only to see it start filling with water!

Decided best not to plug it in. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

I only temporary use an internal heater nowadays but previously I found that an internal heater's light comes on when heating.
Most heaters need to be completely submerged, some need to be upright, some can be used in a horizontal position and some can be on an angle.
Water flow however needs to be across the heater so that the thermostat senses the water temperature. If the water is static then the heater can only sense the water immediately around the heater.
If the water is static and therefore not flowing across the heater then it can take longer to heat the water because the thermostat will come on and off based on the immediate water, the water needs to be moving.

I personally like the Tropica-Reef Hydro Therm Submersible Aquarium heaters which also come with a heater guard (protects the fish from heater burns) (Amazon Link), a 200W heater is only £14.50

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)