New setup after dissaster

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
joolek.o
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time

Hi Everyone,

I am new and panicking... I guess like many dads.. I've been asked for a fish tank... Xmas time, quick decisions... ended up with Biorb 30l.... not knowing a thing.. Spent hours on yt learning.. but biorbs don't give u many options. In the meantime few small disasters (losing fish).. until this weekend... see below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RuY95pvYgLCSsjTs7

out of nowhere... snap, all everything was gone before we even thought what to do... without mentioning kids' Nintendo, flor and carpet... u should see my wife face!! The fact I am still married is a.. miracle!!

I have managed to save few fishes, and few shrimps.... and like an idiot went to the store next day and bought this setup. I am this is something I was considering buying at Xmas - instead of biorb but at the time it seemed like overkill for someone who knows nothing...

I did made mistake - and let the fish in.. after 24h... they're still alive!!! Shrimps... most likely not..

But what I wanted to ask... this is my setup... cold water one..

https://youtu.be/i_DwA2D7FS8

1. Is there anything u guys, professional see that I do fundamentally wrong? Any tips are sooo welcomed!
2. Inlet/Outlet.. I've placed them in the same corner.. is that ok?
3. This is day 4, the water is a bit white.. I guess I have to wait
4. The filter itself.. again buying without any knowledge but I guess this is ok?? I have removed the carbon pad, so all I have is from the bottom.. (foam - ceramic - some small foam)
5. Filter is oddly buzzing.. wife is going bonkers!! What do I do wrong?

I am so new to it, after having biorb for few months - moving to this is.. scary!!! Call me an idiot but if u can also tell why.. I will really appreciate and consider every opinion.
Thank you everyone and welcome - seems like this is going to be my reading site for quite some time now :)
Thanks

j
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The experienced members will give good, honest replies and great advise.

Firstly what size is that nice aquarium, is it a branded aquarium? Looks like an AquaOak from Maidenhead Aquatics.
The filter looks like a Fluval external filter but which one? Fluval 207, 307 or 407 ?

The next question is to get a bigger picture of the water.
Where are you located (town only) as your location will determine if you have hard or soft water (or something in between). This is important as it determines which fish you can successfully keep.
You state this is a cold water set up, what fish and shrimp do you already have ? You will likely need a heater anyway.

What brand of dechorinator are you using? Tap water needs dechlorinating before adding to the aquarium and every time during water changes.

That's enough from me to start ;)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
joolek.o
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time

Wow!!!
Yes it is Aqua Oak - 80L from exactly the place you mentioned!
Fluval 207
Located in Weston Super Mare

We had, as cant see them anymore Amano Shrimps, and these are the few fishes that we have saved... there was in total... 30+. We originally bought 4 but within 3-4 weeks ended up having babies.. unfortunatelly 3 larger ones and many babies are gone...

These are the one survived..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D2nNPbwZcvU8YM1i6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SC9s6wPkqYzSYmYx7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdavYw5fNSQG7pgt8

Regarding the chemicals...
I was using aqua safe from tetra and added BioBoost from Maidenhead Aquatics

Yesterday after removing carbon bag (as I read it filters out all the good stuff and I need to get the bacterias asap) I have also added doze of this for the plants..

https://www.olibetta.uk/microbe-lift/pl ... WAEALw_wcB

Thank u for all your time!!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

joolek.o wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:13 am
Yes it is Aqua Oak - 80L from exactly the place you mentioned!
Fluval 207
Located in Weston Super Mare
Thank you for the additional info.

The AquaOak 80 is approx 18 inches wide and 80L.

Weston-super-mare water is about 11dGH (degrees German hardness) which is on the border of being hard.
The fish in your picture is a Platy which is a hard-water fish species.

The Fluval 207 will give more than enough filtration (good choice).
The Fluval 207 comes with 3 media trays.
The bottom tray comes with the Fluval Biofoam (black fine sponges) and is good mechanical filtration.
The middle tray comes with Fluval Biomax (biological media).
The top tray comes with carbon (activated carbon).
To the side of the filter is the coarse filter sponges/foam (good mechanical filtration)

As you have removed the carbon (expensive when it needs replacing every 6 weeks) put some additional biological media in to the top tray.
The Fluval Biomax is fine, fill the middle tray and top tray to within 1cm of the rim. You need that 1cm gap as the next tray fits inside the tray below and allows for good water circulation within the filter.
In the top tray the media is topped with a fine filter floss before the top is added.

All the best
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

That is a very nice set up.

What you need to do after adding more Fluval Biomax (rinse it first using water taken from the aquarium to remove dust particles) is to get the nitrogen cycle beneficial bacteria built up.
You can use the Fluval Cycle to build up the beneficial bacteria or something better such as Seachem Stability.
You can also use the Fluval water conditioner (dechlorinator) during water changes but better value would be Seachem Prime which is a concentrated dechlorinator, you will need a small 1ml syringe to measure the dosage.

The filter is where the aquarium water is made safe for the fish and shrimp.
Beneficial bacteria build up in the biological media (Fluval Biomax) and start the nitrogen cycle, ammonia>nitrite>nitrate, ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish and shrimp.
The waste from fish (poo/wee) and any decaying plants or decaying food creates ammonia. The ammonia is converted to nitrite by the beneficial bacteria (some refer to these as the ammonia munchers), then the beneficial bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate (some refer to these as the nitrite munchers), you then do your weekly water changes (say 25%) which reduces the less harmful nitrates.
The filter only needs a gentle clean every few months and only give the filter media a gentle clean on rotation. This could be the coarse foams and fine filter floss on one occasion and the Fluval Biomax on another occasion.
Even give the Fluval Biomax trays a gentle clean on rotation.
This could be (in 3 months time):-
Month 1: Give the coarse foams a gentle clean in water taken from the aquarium.
Month 2: Give the Fluval Biomax in the middle tray a gentle clean (little swish) in water taken from the aquarium.
Month 3: Give the Fluval Biomax in the top tray a gentle clean (little swish) in water taken from the aquarium.
Check the filter floss (top tray) each time and clean or replace when necessary.
It is important to protect the beneficial bacteria which is why filter cleaning is done on rotation, one part at a time.
I will usually give the aquarium a dose of Seachem Stability (bacteria in a bottle) after any filter cleaning/maintenance just to play safe.

All the best