Poorly Bristlenoses?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

Hey guys and gals, I haven't posted on here in long time (life gets in the way!), but I know I used to get some great advice on here.

So as the title suggests, my BN's are "not quite right."
I noticed about a week ago they were off their food, usually they devour their pellets/boiled peas and brocoli the minute it gets in the tank, but it was going untouched.

I have 4, a male and female plus two of their offspring. I have had 4-5 spawns from this pair and have given some fry away as they have always been very robust and healthy.

Even now, they are not showing any signs of illness (apart from their stomachs which are looking a bit hollow), other than that though they are behaving normally.

Water parameters are fine (very soft acidic planted tank), the tetra's, otto's and rams they share the tank with are fine.

Any ideas on what the problem could be would be muchly appreciated, thanks!
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 221 times

SomersetMatt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 am Hey guys and gals, I haven't posted on here in long time (life gets in the way!), but I know I used to get some great advice on here.

I noticed about a week ago they were off their food, usually they devour their pellets/boiled peas and brocoli the minute it gets in the tank, but it was going untouched.

I have 4, a male and female plus two of their offspring. I have had 4-5 spawns from this pair and have given some fry away as they have always been very robust and healthy.

Even now, they are not showing any signs of illness (apart from their stomachs which are looking a bit hollow), other than that though they are behaving normally.

Water parameters are fine (very soft acidic planted tank), the tetra's, otto's and rams they share the tank with are fine.

May I ask if you have any wood in the tank?
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

We found these helpful in the past: JBL NovoPleco XL. Because of the wood fibre content.

AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

@Lo1

Thankyou for the reply, yes I do have lots of wood in there. I'll take a picture when I get back home later.

They have always been such greedy feeders in the past, Its just so odd that they seem to ignore everything now.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

SomersetMatt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:59 am @Lo1

Thankyou for the reply, yes I do have lots of wood in there. I'll take a picture when I get back home later.

They have always been such greedy feeders in the past, Its just so odd that they seem to ignore everything now.
Do you occasionally feed them bloodworms?

Although they are Herbivores, bloodworms are a good source of protein for them.

AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Lo1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:40 am
SomersetMatt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 am Hey guys and gals, I haven't posted on here in long time (life gets in the way!), but I know I used to get some great advice on here.

May I ask if you have any wood in the tank?
Bristlenose plecos are not wood eaters but do like hiding places.
Planet Catfish wrote: Ancistrus should be fed mainly on vegetarian foods. Prepared foods include algae wafers and spirulina based sinking food. Vegetables such as courgette/zucchini, and (English) cucumber are an excellent addition to the diet, along with the odd, small amount of more meaty foods.
They do also prefer a well oxygenated aquarium.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)