Big belly rainbowfish

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
eva0915
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Hi everyone,

Today I noticed that one of my Threadfin Rainbowfish (think it's a she because she doesn't have the those distinct long fins) has quite a swollen belly. Not sure what's going on with her.

- She doesn't have sticking out scales.
- She doesn't seem to have issues with controlling her vertical position in the water column.
- She doesn't seem to be as agile as the others, nor as fast and does seem to be arching upwards.
- She's breathing fast, though I couldn't compare her breathing to her tankmates', other guys are just too fast.
- She seemed interested in food.

Could this be dropsy? Or eggs accumulating? Or maybe overeating? I do have breeding red cherries in the tank, and just had a slice of courgette in the tank for shrimps and ottos, but I heard threadfins would eat veggies too.

Any ideas are welcome.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

someone pigging out and might be slightly bloated.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I agree, it does look like overeating by the shape.
What are you feeding? They're normally quite fussy (well, all those I've had have been).
eva0915

plankton wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 15:44 pm I agree, it does look like overeating by the shape.
What are you feeding? They're normally quite fussy (well, all those I've had have been).
I use Tetra Micro Crisps and Fluval Bug Bites Tropical formula, crushed to almost powder (it swells in water and becomes just the right size for them to eat), but I never give them as much that would've made her this full, so she might've been preying on shrimplets.

She does seem to be a bit more agile now, let's hope everything is going to be all right.
eva0915

UPDATE: She's still bloated after two days of fasting, this morning I fed the whole lot, she was eating as well. She does seem to prefer staying near the water surface now, but otherwise active, can keep her position in the outflow current.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

She was probably both then. ;)
eva0915

UPDATE: She's still a barrel, but apart from that actively swimming and eating, can even keep up with the flirting males. Guess she'll stay like that.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Glad to hear. :)