Sudden snail breeding problems

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Kathn

Hi, iv had aquariums for 3 years and always had snails, always bought nirite snails, I have those little yellow and black strip horned ones in one tank, had them for over a year, not added anything, or changed anything for months, and suddenly I'm over run with tiny snails???
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I had a severe ramshorn and trumpet infestation, often taking up to 200 out each day!. A forum member kindly sent me about 6 Assassin snails, (Anentome helena) and after about 5 - 6 weeks, they got rid of the lot. No more ranshorn or any other snail. I have still got them as they seem quite happy as they are also breeding. The photo gives a impression of them being LARGE,. but they are no bigger than 1 cm. The Assassins are not really snails at all.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

The assassins will kill Nerites as well though.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

Hi @Kathn probably the best thing you can do is to purchase a pest snail trap.

Superfish snail trap below, is easy to use, doesn't trap small fish and is not expensive.

Pro Shrimp sell them, link here: Pro Shrimp
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Snails aren't actually a problem as such, they can actually be good for the enclosed environment eating spare food and dying plants, also (in some cases) getting rid of carcasses that you can't find.
They can also help show the quality of the water (they try to get out if there's anything wrong).
I can't make out from the pic which ones you have, but most are ok except for the larger pond snails which will eat live plants.
Kathn

Thanks for all the advise everyone