Understanding aggression

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

My 2 big Oscars are, I guess teenagers now at 12" and 11". They have been together from tiny fry and inseparable, they swim everywhere together, almost up against each other. The past couple weeks they have started squaring up to each other, open mouths, back and forward posturing for a minute or 2, then go back to swimming around happily together. They don't actually lip lock and when finished they don't try and bite each others fins or anything.

I'm just after anyone's view that has actually kept these and seen this type of behaviour?

I've done lots of reading and get answers ranging from they're going to kill each other separate immediately to there's no problem.

I know these are big, aggressive fish and there will be a certain amount of aggression in the tank, I'm thinking as long as know damage is being done its just playing, posturing etc and you'll always get it with fish like these. But If its the start of something I'd rather act before a fish got hurt rather than after.
Worth adding, they pay no attention to any other fish and they don't do it over food, they eat side by side and definitely not territory as they're always together
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

If they are male & female then it may be part of the courtship.

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 221 times

Really sorry to hear you have issues with your Oscars.

As you say: "teenagers", a new pecking order may now be under way.

As for the question about: "damage", some losing fish put up a longer fight than others, which results in greater injuries.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Stephen wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm If they are male & female then it may be part of the courtship.

LOL it did cross my mind! They would be a whole new ball game (pun intended) of problems. I'd have to convert my whole lounge into a tank to house loads of baby Oscars!!!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Lo1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:21 pm Really sorry to hear you have issues with your Oscars.

As you say: "teenagers", a new pecking order may now be under way.

As for the question about: "damage", some losing fish put up a longer fight than others, which results in greater injuries.
At the moment they aren't connecting, it's all posturing etc. I don't know if this is the beginning of a war or like you say a pecking order, that's why I'm after first hand experience of this age of oscar, whether to let them sort it, at the moment neither are taking damage or being bullied, they go back to being best pals right after
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:29 pm
Stephen wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm If they are male & female then it may be part of the courtship.
LOL it did cross my mind! They would be a whole new ball game (pun intended) of problems. I'd have to convert my whole lounge into a tank to house loads of baby Oscars!!!
A female Oscar will lay approx 2000 eggs on a flat stone. ;]
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)