Cory quiz!

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Shivjindal
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hi All

I bought 4 corydoras a while back and 3 look the same and one slightly different, the pic below shows one of the 3 and the one slightly different. They were bought as 'Corydoras nanus'. Are the two in the pic the same species? If you pop the pic out you can see the fish on the right has a much stronger dark line along its body although its face is reminiscent of the fish on the left, male and female maybe?...

I then recently spotted a lone catfish in my local fish shop which I felt sorry for being on its own and thought would go nice with the four cory's I have and bought it as 'Corydoras jullii'. I then saw a photo in my fish bible (Baensch Aquarium Atlas) that looked exactly the same as the fish I bought but was 'Corydoras trilineatus' (three line armoured catfish) and not julii but there is no photo of julii so wondering if i have C. trilineatus or julii? Photo as below....

They are all getting along great by the way ::thumb::

Cheers, Ade
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

My knowledge of Corys isn’t that great so I’m no help. @Stephen, @Martinspuddle, @plankton might well know 🙂
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

The cory in the foreground of the top picture looks like Corydoras nanus, the one in the background is likely a Corydoras napoensis.

The bottom picture looks like Corydoras trilineatus which are often mis-labelled as Corydoras jullii.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

The top two may both be c.napoensis, there are some variations and the more background one is smaller and probably younger, although I'm not saying @Stephen is wrong. ;)
The bottom one is definitely c. trilineatus.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3909 times

The one the right could be Corydoras Elegans, the rest I agree with @Stephen
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:53 am Image

The one the right could be Corydoras Elegans, the rest I agree with @Stephen
@Martinspuddle
It does look similar to Corydoras elegans but does not have the markings on the dorsal fin that Corydoras elegans has.

Corydoras nanus

Corydoras elegans
plankton wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:35 am The top two may both be c.napoensis, there are some variations and the more background one is smaller and probably younger, although I'm not saying @Stephen is wrong. ;)
The bottom one is definitely c. trilineatus.
@plankton
The one in the foreground is not a Corydoras napoensis as it does not have the dorsal fin marking.
I believe it is a Corydoras nanus (as bought).
The one in the background does have the markings of Corydoras napoensis and the dorsal fin marking too.

Corydoras napoensis

The markings are more visible when the original image is enlarged (as below).

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)