Stop Fish Jumping

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
itsashrimpthing
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 48 times

Stop Fish Jumping

Post by itsashrimpthing »

My community tank seems to have developed a bit of an issue since I last trimmed the plants 2 weeks ago.

My glass bloodfin tetra have become very skittish and frantically dash about at the slightest movement by their tank. This is new behaviour since I trimmed down a few stems plants and a moss clump. I am not sure if this is the cause as they spend most of their time in the open sections of the tank. My other fish (neon tetra & albino BNs) are not showing any behavioural changes.

Over the last 2 weeks I have had to rescue several fish that have become stuck above the waterline on the glass after being spooked. I do a count every evening and noticed one tetra missing just now. After 10 minutes I checked behind the tank and spotted it flapping about on the floor! No idea how it got out as my tank has a lid and no obvious holes.

I am not sure how long it was out but it seems ok, has eaten and is swimming with the rest of the group. I can't even tell which one it was.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop them getting stuck on the glass? The tank is in my office so a quiet room and very little disturbance, only as I enter and leave the room or on water change days.

Any help is appreciated!
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 3008 times
Been liked: 3019 times

Re: Stop Fish Jumping

Post by Martinspuddle »

Any pictures and water parameter test results?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3644 times
Been liked: 2791 times

Post by plankton »

When you say "stuck on the glass", do you mean they get stuck on the tank glass above the water line, or do you have those shelf things for condensation trays?

Art
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Art »

Anyone who keeps killifish knows the problem. They jump out through the smallest openings in the cover.
It is their nature because in the dry season the water retention decreases. They are trying to find larger water over land.
My method: The cover plate lies at the back on angles made of thin sheet metal. (rustproof, thickness 0.5 mm). The width of the cover plate is the same as the inside dimensions of the aquarium. It rests on the front of the viewing window and protrudes about 1 cm so that it can be touched.
Since it is inclined, the splashing water only drips back at the back.
At a rear corner there is a 1 cm bevel for the cables. This point is still sealed with foam.
Jumping out is not possible.

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by black ghost »

Check your water. Fish jump either because they’re spooked or needing to escape from an aggressor, or because the water is bad. They don’t know that there’s no water on the outside.

itsashrimpthing

Water parameters:

Temp: 25°C
kH: 4
gH: 7
pH: 6.8

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5

I use API liquid test kits.

Every week I do a 25% water change and then once a month I do a more thorough substrate vac and trim the plants. This has been the norm in the tank for the last 6-7 months. The jumping behaviour has only started in the last few weeks. Nothing else has changed.

Normally when I do water changes and trimming the fish all move to the bottom of the tank until I am done. I have only had one instance of fish escape during a water change. They are normally pretty calm and just hide until the lid closes.
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry

itsashrimpthing

plankton wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 am When you say "stuck on the glass", do you mean they get stuck on the tank glass above the water line, or do you have those shelf things for condensation trays?
I mean stuck to the glass above the waterline. Sometimes they will wiggle and free themselves, but most I have had to poke. Luckily, I haven't had this happen when I have not been in the room so no deaths yet.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 3644 times
Been liked: 2791 times

Post by plankton »

I don't understand how they can get stuck to the glass - can you put up a pic?

Art
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Art »

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by black ghost »

itsashrimpthing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 23:03 pm
I mean stuck to the glass above the waterline. Sometimes they will wiggle and free themselves, but most I have had to poke. Luckily, I haven't had this happen when I have not been in the room so no deaths yet.
Is it something you’re doing when you’re in the room? What is the tank sat on? Something to do with that? Vibrations can easily spook fish.