New highway code proposals

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Department of Transport is proposing new highway rules.

Although these are pending final parliamentary approval on January 29th if they are made law, oh boy I can see accidents and more road rage coming! :O

Three key potential changes:

1. The introduction of a 'hierarchy of road users', meaning that those road users who can do the greatest damage would bear the greatest share of responsibility in ensuring safety on the road.

2. Clarifying existing rules on pedestrian priority on pavements. Currently pedestrians only have priority over other road users if they have already begun to cross a junction. The proposals would give pedestrians priority over other road users at junctions where pedestrians are waiting to cross, in addition to the existing rule that pedestrians have priority where they are already crossing.

3. Issuing guidance on safe speed and passing distances when overtaking more vulnerable road users such as cyclists and horse riders. The guidance would also confirm that cyclists and horse riders have the right of way at junctions where they are travelling straight ahead.

Image courtesy from Daily Mail

Click to enlarge

Link: Summary of the consultation proposals on a review of The Highway Code

If this is made law, all I'll say is, good luck my friends. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I see folks stood chatting on corners, and all the traffic stopped for it.
And what does point 1 mean? Lorry drivers even more guilty till proven innocent. It’s as bad as the ‘safe’ motorways with no hard shoulder...
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

More ridiculous decision made by completely out of touch peopld
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

50mph for roads with sharp bends… what because some numpty speeding has stuck their car in a ditch? They’ve already reduced 3 great roads around here from a 60 to a 50 and it’s made no difference.
Martinspuddle

black ghost wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 14:33 pm And what does point 1 mean?
Vehicles will no longer have priority on Britain's roads, instead cyclists and pedestrians will have the priority. All vehicles will have give way to them.

As our illustrious leader has said ...
"it will make us into a nation of cyclists"

Boris Johnson
black ghost wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 14:33 pm Lorry drivers even more guilty till proven innocent.
Thought we were anyway @black ghost
black ghost wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 14:33 pm It’s as bad as the ‘safe’ motorways with no hard shoulder...
Smart motorways are perfectly safe ...until humans drive the motor vehicles on them. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

This rules are allready counting in The Netherlands for some years. Sometimes even crossing the lines of stupity.
A cyclist can do everything wrong but still the cardriver is kept liabel. Kind of boomerang-effect of the specific law.
Martinspuddle

Question is, knowing very few people bother to read the Highway Code in this country, how many will fall foul of the law not knowing?!
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 17:39 pm Question is, knowing very few people bother to read the Highway Code in this country, how many will fall foul of the law not knowing?!
Loads Martin mate.

I hate road cyclists with a passion. We have a 5 lane bridge over the river in Sunderland that has a cycle lane painted on the pavement. No cyclists use it, instead they stay on the road, cause chaos then give people the w@#£$% signal. Absolute tateys.

The other day 2 cyclists nearly ran into me and my oldest son when we were crossing the road then yelled at us to use the proper crossings. I told him to get off the bike but he sped up. Pricks.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Martinspuddle

Andys temperate tank wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 18:22 pm

I hate road cyclists with a passion. We have a 5 lane bridge over the river in Sunderland that has a cycle lane painted on the pavement. No cyclists use it, instead they stay on the road, cause chaos then give people the w@#£$% signal. Absolute tateys.

The other day 2 cyclists nearly ran into me and my oldest son when we were crossing the road then yelled at us to use the proper crossings. I told him to get off the bike but he sped up. Pricks.
This is Swale Way, Kemsley Kent, just around the corner from Firmin Transport yard. To get to the A249 dual carriageway and then Motorway beyond we have to use this road.

Click to enlarge

...it's a slow incline and with a full load, very slow for us to start. So your trying to build your speed up to get over the railway bridge. On the left is a footway (funny I thought they were called pavements at one time) and a cycle lane ...

Oh do guess where the cyclists ride instead and with a 44 tonne articulated lorry you cannot get past them. :mad:

I believe under the new proposed rules we would have to stay behind them all the way.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 18:22 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 17:39 pm Question is, knowing very few people bother to read the Highway Code in this country, how many will fall foul of the law not knowing?!
Loads Martin mate.

Totally agree, the lycra warriors do my head in. If someone is riding to work because they can't afford a car or want to save the world then ok, but do it sensibly. These twats that ride main roads in a peloton for fun and block all the traffic really annoy me. If you want to ride for fun or fitness, do it round a track or a field!