Vivariums anyone?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Nick Jarvis
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 127 times

I've been away from the forum for a while. Since moving house I have had to downsize from my 9x2x2.5ft aquarium into a 5x2x2ft aquarium which inevitably meant rehoming a large part of my collection.
Anyway, the 5ft is ticking along nicely, covered in algae but the fish are happy.
My big tank is sitting empty in my garden awaiting inspiration.
That inspiration has been brought in the forum of a vivarium. Yes I know, confusing right?
Anyway, I need to extend my conservatory before I can set the big tank up again so I the meantime I have been busying myself learning about reptiles and the like and building myself a custom built bioactive vivarium that is just starting to take shape.
Here is a picture of before and after i got it. I have just started laying the moss. If I get any time today then I will finish laying the moss and start putting the plants in. This thing will really start to look great over the coming weeks, depending on how much time/money I can get away with

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

downgraded :rofl: 5ft is still a cracking size!!

I've thought about them before but settled on a riparium style tank instead :)
Nick Jarvis

In the future I hope to integrate the vivarium and the aquarium together some how so that the vivarium is filtering the aquarium.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

Any idea what you want to keep in it?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Nick Jarvis

plankton wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:52 am Any idea what you want to keep in it?
It's mainly going to be a plant display and maybe will have some green anoles, geckos and dart frogs along with a load of invertebrates.
I'm only wanting a few small animals amongst the plants.
I put a load more moss in yesterday and will hopefully be going to the garden centre later today aswell.
Also, I have the extra terrainium inside to do a separate self contained scape.

Nick Jarvis

I spent some money on plants yesterday. All from the American continent, all pet friendly (unless I get pet flies) and all prefer warm humid conditions.
These will be doing the heavy lifting of the bioload in this bioactive vivarium.
So far my plants are as follows;
Pitcher plant
Monstera
Moth orchid
Red bromeliad
Pineapple plant
Peace lilly
Parlor palm
Boston fern
Crocodile fern
Tradescantia
And various mosses.
The moss is currently going brown, hopefully just acclimatising and will eventually go back green.
I still want to add some more air plants and maybe a couple more big plants. I want to look completely full of plants before any animals go in. For now, I will be gradually adding insects. I already have a load of woodlice and dubia roaches setting up shop in there. Interested to hear of any feedback.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 367 times

Will your vivarium cope with high humidity? Most are designed to be arid and mine are certainly made of cheap fibreboard that won't like damp conditions.
Nick Jarvis

LookoutTrout wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:28 am Will your vivarium cope with high humidity? Most are designed to be arid and mine are certainly made of cheap fibreboard that won't like damp conditions.
I hope so. It's made of 12mm ply and completely sealed inside with gorilla glue liquid rubber waterproofing paint. I added the foam etc ontop of the seal and then siliconed the foam edges to to try keep water from getting behind the scape.

Here is a couple of pictures I took midway through making the background. You can see the white uncoat of gorilla glue waterproofing paint here aswell as how I disguised the expanding foam.

Nick Jarvis

Starting to look good now.
Unfortunately the pump I had in mind will not lift the water as high as originally intended so it's going to have only a small waterfall, maybe 2 or 3 inches instead of 2 or 3 feet until I get another pump 😂
Does anyone here have any plant recommendations? I have an area that will always, or almost always be damp and a shallow water area to grow aquatic plants.
Amazon swords are an obvious choice but can anyone recommend an accessible plant from further north, say central America to florida?

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

not america but if Asia is acceptable then Hygrophila Corymbosa? I've been growing it emersed for a while now and its fine with or without humidity. Take a look at my log. I've got two types of Hygrophila growing emersed.