Back in the hobby after 20 years!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Afterburned
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

Hi all, thought I would do my intro. Apologies if you have seen this already on other forums, still trying to work out which ones are active!

I first picked up a fish tank at University, we had a shared house and we had loads of pets - between the 4 humans we had 2 russian hamsters, 1 rat, 2 gerbils, 5 mice, a snake, occasionally a bunch of tarantula's and scorpions, and two three foot fish tanks.
One tank was mine and I inherited the other when the guy left. I took them home with me and had them for a good 5 years before moving country and giving them to the local fish shop (amazing place near Heathrow with a shark aquarium attached).
Near the end I had the 2 tanks on a double stand with the lower tank having the larger fish and a 'deep' look to it - no plants, a bit of bogwood type hollow ceramic thing, sand and a 12"bubbler, the upper tank had a 'shallow' feel to it with gravel, a couple of plants, a matching bubbler to tie the tanks together, and smaller fish.
Lower tank - 2 4" T-Barbs, 2 5-6" Tinfoil Barbs, 13" plec, Banjo cat and an eel (I think it was an eel, it had a wobbly nose and hid in the sand, liked eating platy babies so had to go in the lower tank)
Upper tank - 2 dwarf gouramis that were the only things to survive the heater malfunction, and a variety of platy's, neon tetra type things and harlequin rasboras.
Most of the big fish were bought as small from Pet City (nicknamed Pet Cemetary after we realised) - now called Pets at Home - we were assured they would be suitable for a community tank with Neon's :huh:
Looking back probably had both tanks overstocked, but they survived!

But that's history, and now 20 years on I am married with 2 kids and a dog, living in Yorkshire and just managed to get the wife to agree to (and in fact bought me for Christmas) a small (2ft) tank.
Some soil substrate covered in gravel in one diagonal half of the tank, the other half sand. Bogwood & plants on their way (hopefully) in the post. The plan is for small Corys and Guppies - crowd pleasers to get the family hooked - especially if we get a few babies! Tank is cycling, however put a load of plants in and that messed it up a little (plants eat ammonia - who knew?!) and is now silent cycling, to be honest is probably ready but it's only a couple of weeks 'till my birthday and might get some vouchers for fish, and who wants to do unnessesary shopping at the moment (not buying fish online either, seems cruel to post them).

I'll put a pic on once I work out how to do it!

Cheers,
Afterburned
Marina Vue 60l, EHEIM pickup 160
Java Fern, Java Moss, Echinodorus midifleur, Loads of Vallis, Frogbit?
3 red cherry, 3 fire red & 6 amano shrimp.
Guppys (1m 3f adult and many fry of different sizes!)
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Welcome to the forum mate.

You might want to rethink your stock though. Cory's need softer water and guppies need it harder.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Afterburned
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

Yeah, I know most Corys are soft but there are some Corys that are rated for hard(er) water - fairy corys for example. Still undecided as I can't find anything else suitable (60l tank). Guppies will be first.
May have a banjo cat again as they are good for hard water (and are happy solo), also some Cherry shrimp which is a whole new world I never knew about.
Will take some water with me when I finally get to go to the shop so I can find out just how hard the actual tank water is after two months of settling & changes (15% once a week at the moment).
Marina Vue 60l, EHEIM pickup 160
Java Fern, Java Moss, Echinodorus midifleur, Loads of Vallis, Frogbit?
3 red cherry, 3 fire red & 6 amano shrimp.
Guppys (1m 3f adult and many fry of different sizes!)
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Welcome to AF-UK

I take it your are doing a fish less cycle ( with ammonia or other sources )

Certainly is an active forum here with plenty of good advice. While fish health is number one priority, no one will go mental at you for making mistakes ( unless you blatantly ignore advice and then complain hehe ), unlike some other places!!!!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Welcome to the forum.
You have come to the right place (hopefully) for good advise.

You need to find out what your water hardness is as this will determine which fish are best suited to your water.
Beverley (example) is very hard water at around 20dGH (degrees German); Driffield is also hard at around 15.4dGH. This is great for Guppy but not good for Corydoras.
Check with Yorkshire Water for your water hardness.
Fairy cory (Corydoras atropersonatus) definitely need soft water (below 10dGH).

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)