Bolivian ram mates

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

codheadjohn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 19:07 pm He would have dealt with the move better, but maybe it's too late anyway. Does she have hiding places in the QT? I assume it is cycled?

I think melafix is supposed to help them relax, maybe some crushed garlic along with good food.
I know I’ve almost instantly regretted it 🙈 but just thought if she somehow recovers I won’t return it to the tank - I will have to rehome her I think. I’m so gutted with myself and the whole situation 🙈🙈

I’ll try melafix half dose for couple of days and will keep offering food . Will add wood tomorrow for more adding places too.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

codheadjohn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 19:07 pm He would have dealt with the move better, but maybe it's too late anyway. Does she have hiding places in the QT? I assume it is cycled?

I think melafix is supposed to help them relax, maybe some crushed garlic along with good food.
Oh and filter has all the media from my main filter, plus Stability. I’m testing twice a day , maybe will do more. So far no spikes 🤞🤞🙈
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Just being away from the male will relax her. I would only treat with anything if she is diseased. That new tank might keep her under stress though. It’s not too late to put her back and remove the male.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ohhhh 🙈🙈🙈 ok I’ll do that . I’m an idiot basically
black ghost
Posting Legend

It’s always best to remove the aggressor. The victim doesn’t need the further stress of new surroundings. It needs the familiarity of the tank it knows, because as soon as the aggressor is removed she knows the tank is safe. Fish can tell if they’re alone but they don’t know that something isn’t going to come out at night until they get used to it (cichlids are intelligent but they’re still fish), so a different tank doesn’t alleviate the stress straight away.

If she’s physically damaged I’d add a half dose of Protozin (fungicide and bacteristat, others are available). If there’s no physical damage I wouldn’t add anything. There are no medications for ‘relaxation’. Removal of the stressor does that. :)
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I will swap them first thing tomorrow 🙈😔

The “male” is digging holes in the sand 🙈 is it normal ?
black ghost
Posting Legend

Redpanda wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 21:06 pm I will swap them first thing tomorrow 🙈😔

The “male” is digging holes in the sand 🙈 is it normal ?
Preparing for the next female that he sees. This one might be ready....
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Fascinating!!
black ghost
Posting Legend

Another reason for getting him out. It’s his territory now, so the next female (if that was the way you went) would have to be ready to breed straight away or move on.
They can’t move on which is where the constant aggression comes in. He doesn’t want a gooseberry hanging around if he’s to attract a sexual partner...
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I swapped them, my god was stressful for everyone 😭

She instantly looks better and coloured up, looked around the tank and now back in her hiding spot. Coming out every now and again. Fingers crossed she’s going to start relaxing a bit more.

Male on the other hand super super stressed and upset 😭 I’m going to add few more plants and wood this morning and make nicer tank for him.

How long should I keep them separately ( providing he settles in the little one ok for now) ?