This patience lark

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Ghost Gum
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 25 times

Last nights test saw no change.

The GH was still sky high over 50 and kh seems to have dropped to 8.

I think if there is no noticeable movement by Sunday I'll order some bacteria in a bottle and consider a water change with what I have on hand.

Would pushing the temp up to 30 be of any use?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

30 is the optimum temperature for bacterial growth, but I think you’re flogging a dead horse with that GH.
Ghost Gum

Well I'll up the temp and give it a couple of days then do as much of a water change as I can and then I guess it's a matter of rinse and repeat until the GH starts dropping.
I know it needs to come down anyway for fish so the sooner the better.
black ghost
Posting Legend

You’ll need to cut it with RO...? Or rain filtered through PolyFilter if you’re in the countryside...
Ghost Gum

In lieu of having RO I can get demineralised by the boat load, having a sniff around some Spanish forums it seems to be what some use as well so I'm going to use that until we get an RO system.
Tested it for GH last night and it immediately changed faint green so it should work for the time being.
black ghost
Posting Legend

I forgot you’re in Spain. Rain might not be as viable an option as in Britain... :)
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

... particularly so if GG lives in a hilly area (and if there's any truth to the song) ;)
Ghost Gum

Rain can be a bit scarce, had a little last week but normally it comes in spring and autumn downpours. The house doesn't even have gutters, I'd love to collect what we do get.
In summer I use the water from the air conditioner to water the garden as it's a bit easier on the plants, doubt it'd be much use in an aquarium though.
Ghost Gum

:woo: :woo:

Finally!

Nitrites have showed up.
There is at least 0.25ppm going by the colour. Thought it looked a bit off yesterday but definitely it is purple today.
Ammonia looks down to 1.5ppm, should I top that up now or wait for it to drop to zero?

Excited now.
The bloom is still hanging about too.
I was going to do a water change with what I have available in a day or two if things didn't change to get some of that hard water out, should I still do that or wait a bit longer now nitrites are present?

Started on the 27th of December so it's been a month.

Still it's proof of concept. :grin:
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Wait for it to drop to zero before topping back up. I’d personally leave the water change until it’s at zero.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.